Bug? Text changing in source code - on its own

aedwall

Licensed User
Longtime User
I haven't been able to identify the cause or the circumstances, but there are times when the editor just changes text on me as if some sort of "Replace all" function has been requested. This is absolutely infuriating because there are times I don't know how much is changed and thus it makes it difficult to go back and restore what was correct. I am reporting this FYI. If I obtain further info, I will update this report.

aedwall

Licensed User
Longtime User
I seems to happen in debug mode when I set and stop on a breakpoint. Then I hover my mouse over a variable in order to check it's value. I'm not sure what happens next to cause it, but most times the variable is deleted on the line of source code, or source code is moved from one location to another. And the biggest problem is that other variables with the same name are also deleted, but I can't always see them. Then if I do a CTRL-Z to undo, then things get more messed up. I will keep watching to see if I can find something that always fails.

I never have two apps in the same folder that use the same modules.

Last edited:

KMatle

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
And th biggest problem is that other variables with the same name are also deleted

Sounds like magic :) I had a friend who's keyboard had a defect (DEL key was fired from time to time). Check that by pulling the DEL or BACK key out (no joke!). Another one thought he has a virus because the IE was starting several times out of nothing. Problem was the same. Some notebooks have hotkeys. One (to start IE) had a defect and fired from time to time.

aedwall

Licensed User
Longtime User
Sounds like magic :) I had a friend who's keyboard had a defect (DEL key was fired from time to time). Check that by pulling the DEL or BACK key out (no joke!). Another one thought he has a virus because the IE was starting several times out of nothing. Problem was the same. Some notebooks have hotkeys. One (to start IE) had a defect and fired from time to time.

If it were something like described, then a CTRL-Z should restore things, but it does not. And nothing else on my computer acts this way. So the evidence does not support your theory. I wish it did.

KMatle

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
So the evidence does not support your theory. I wish it did.

I'm with you. Bad behaviour but if this was an issue, thousands of users were facing this problem.

So maybe it's something with your mouse as the code is still editable when you debug. Another idea is the touchpad on a notebook. I switched off ALL special functions (like tap for double click or other functions) due to my big fingers. That crap even has "magic moves" which trigger the hell when you do not know that the pad can do such things :) If you double click a variable you can move it with your mouse or delete it. This comes close to the symptoms you describe.

aedwall

Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm with you. Bad behaviour but if this was an issue, thousands of users were facing this problem.

So maybe it's something with your mouse as the code is still editable when you debug. Another idea is the touchpad on a notebook. I switched off ALL special functions (like tap for double click or other functions) due to my big fingers. That crap even has "magic moves" which trigger the hell when you do not know that the pad can do such things :) If you double click a variable you can move it with your mouse or delete it. This comes close to the symptoms you describe.

I don't use a laptop or a touch pad. I know - this is weird. I am just reporting what I am seeing. That's all I can try and do as I work with the editor. I will keep watching and report new facts as they occur. Just a warning to people. Watch when you are in DEBUG mode - see if variables suddenly disappear and you cannot compile when this happens.

klaus

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I am just reporting what I am seeing.
Well, I have never encountered things like this, on a notebook with and without touchpad for many years.
So I think that the remarks of KMatle are appropriate!
I am just reporting what I am seeing.

stevel05

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Watch when you are in DEBUG mode - see if variables suddenly disappear and you cannot compile when this happens.

I think if this were happening to other users we would have heard about it. It may be worth reinstalling B4a if you think this is the cause, but it's unlikely. As already suggested, check your hardware, try a different mouse and keyboard. Make sure you have not got any hotkey software running.