Wish Text Editor

aeric

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
If B4J IDE can embedded a simple text editor to open text file such as txt, csv, xml, json, html, md, php, ini, etc with color syntax highlighting and document formatting then it may be helpful.

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
I recommend configuring Notepad++ as an "external editor":

1702370998939.png

Notepad++ supports syntax highlighting as well as many other features.

aeric

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I recommend configuring Notepad++ as an "external editor":

View attachment 148608

Notepad++ supports syntax highlighting as well as many other features.
I know about this setting.
I also use Sublime Text and VScode but quickly open a text file (inside the IDE) is a bonus so I can focus on one IDE.

It is more specific to B4J, where I use multilevel directories structure.
Currently my Web project has a "template" folder inside Objects folder and inside it are 2 folders "layouts" and "pages". I wish I can open and read the files inside directly from the IDE. Currently files inside Objects folder are not visible in the IDE.

Last edited:

aeric

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Files vs Objects folder

In B4J IDE,

Files tab does not allow files organized under "actual" windows directory (Files System). The folder in B4J is only use to group files in a treeview so a group can be collapse or expand. Files with same file name cannot exist. For example I want to have different packages which happen to contain common index.js or style.css then I may need to rename these files.

Objects folder in app's folder does allow files to be organized inside directories but the problem is the files are neither visible from the IDE's Files tab nor can be open directly using external editor. To develop web app, we need to open external Text Editor and browse to Objects folder.

Secondly,

Let say I put my template files inside Files folder and I can edit the files using external editor from the IDE, but when I publish the app, I need to copy the files to Objects folder or else the files are not accessible (they are inside Files folder inside the JAR file). This created duplicate or redundant files which make the project size double. So my template files cannot be store inside Files folder.