Android Question The folder "Android/data" is no longer visible from Android-12.

Filippo

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi,

I have just noticed that with the function "ContentChooser" the folder "Android/data" is no longer visible and therefore no longer selectable.
Is this normal, or is there something you can set?
Or is it simply a new Android limitation?

Android-10:
1674466865099.png

Android-12:
1674466885250.png

Android-13:
1674466918556.png

Sagenut

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
It's a new limitation.
Only the Apps can access their own directory.

Upvote 0

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
You can still access Androd/data and Android/obb using External Storage, which is what any file explorer from the store that can see these folders will be using.. It's probably a bug in Android that allows it so it may be closed in the future.

You can access the rest of the file store using a new permission that Google will not allow for most Play Store apps. File explorers from the store that can access all the file store will be using this.

Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
Upvote 0

Filippo

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi guys,

Not that I have a problem with this limitation, I just happened to notice it today and wondered.

But if Google keeps this up, I'm going to like Apple more and more. ;)

Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
But if Google keeps this up, I'm going to like Apple more and more
iOS has a much simpler and more "sane" design than Android. In the old days Android gave developers much more power but these days it is mostly restricted as iOS with an extra payload of special features that are difficult to use correctly.

You can see B4XPages as an example. One of its most important features is that it hosts all pages in a single activity instead of using a different activity for each page (and paying the price of the requirement to deal with the activities super complex life cycle).

Upvote 0