Android Question The future of B4X IDEs????

JackKirk

Licensed User
Longtime User
I wish there was a better location for this category of thread but until there is I will stick with [Android Questions] because it has the highest visibility.

Google has just announced a competitor to Github Copilot:

https://techcrunch.com/2023/05/10/google-launches-a-github-copilot-competitor/

The line which got me was "Developers will be able to chat with this model right in a chat box in their IDE or write a comment in a text file and have it generate the relevant code".

Imagine future B4X IDEs with such a capability - using a LLM trained on B4X forum messages.

Imagine future B4X IDEs without such a capability????

AnandGupta

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I wish there was a better location for this category of thread but until there is I will stick with [Android Questions] because it has the highest visibility.

Google has just announced a competitor to Github Copilot:

https://techcrunch.com/2023/05/10/google-launches-a-github-copilot-competitor/

The line which got me was "Developers will be able to chat with this model right in a chat box in their IDE or write a comment in a text file and have it generate the relevant code".

Imagine future B4X IDEs with such a capability - using a LLM trained on B4X forum messages.

Imagine future B4X IDEs without such a capability????
Hmm..so we will be happy to use the Google Github Copilot and make Android apps better and easier than B4X ?
Well Forum members have been teaching, guiding, giving free codes to me, still I am struggling to make a decent app. I don't think life will be better with G.copilot.

I love the Forum and its living members more than any A.I.

Upvote 0

JohnC

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
AI will disrupt internet searches by providing a direct/exact answer to your query as if it came from talking to an expert on that topic that is sitting across a table from you, instead of the current internet search method of listing "result" webpages and then have to read through them to see if they will answer your query.

So, having an expert available in a side window that can generate code or check your existing code for bugs will be much more efficient than having to search this forum or waiting for someone to respond to your posts.

Something like this would be cool in the B4x IDE:

Upvote 0

stevel05

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
So, having an expert available in a side window that can generate code or check your existing code for bugs will be much more efficient than having to search this forum or waiting for someone to respond to your posts.
Yes, but not so good for the learning experience. Which to my mind is all the better for reading through lots of posts to find the right one. You pick up so much on the way, even if you're not ready to use it yet.

Upvote 0

Daestrum

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Sounds good for Google, just watch the value of apps drop as everyone and their mother floods the market with apps they got the AI to write for them.

Upvote 0

MicroDrie

Licensed User
Mmmm. ..... yes, all very well, but what it is about is that a computer program does not bring anything new, but goes through all kinds of existing information on all kinds of forums and looks at what the best answer is according to an algorithm. She used to call something like that old wine in new bottles and more standard sausage of the same.
Anyway, it's very easy to find something you've read once. Creativity is reduced to asking the right question to find the right or useful answer. And that has nothing to do with the intelligence to invent and realize something new.

Upvote 0

Sagenut

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
AI get trained by OUR code snippets that we publish.
No more publishing and AI will not learn about this anymore.
But also members will not learn.
So a double cut blade.
What I really don't like are people that come asking to real members to correct the code proposed by AI.
Anyway anyone is free to do what he think is better for himself.

Upvote 0

JackKirk

Licensed User
Longtime User
Something like this is not a replacement for the forums, which I have always regarded as one of the most valuable parts of the B4X offering.

It is a way of (possibly) quickly distilling the forum contents.

Upvote 0

JGParamo

Licensed User
The vast code snippets, code examples and libraries for B4X in this forum can be used to train a fine-tuned AI that can answer chats and provide suggestions. An AI helper can be of great help if included in future versions of B4X IDEs especially for beginners and intermediate coders alike, though with certain disclaimer.

Upvote 0

Winni

Licensed User
Longtime User
True, but imagine if a LLM was specifically trained on B4X forums
The company that I work for has a Lua interpreter embedded in our product and a bunch of APIs and Lua librariers come with the product. Guess what? Bing's version of ChatGPT - which can actually access the Internet and search for things - could immediately write meaningful Lua code that uses our custom libraries. It was also well aware of the fact that this specific Lua code could only work within our software, since standalone Lua does not have these specific libraries.

It'll take Bing/ChatGPT all but three seconds to learn B4X when you point it to the online documentation.

Upvote 0

Jack Cole

Licensed User
Longtime User
The vast code snippets, code examples and libraries for B4X in this forum can be used to train a fine-tuned AI that can answer chats and provide suggestions. An AI helper can be of great help if included in future versions of B4X IDEs especially for beginners and intermediate coders alike, though with certain disclaimer.
Yes. Probably 8 months ago or so I scraped the forum for fine tuning gpt3. I ran out of time then. Now there are so many other good options for this now. Of course gpt-4 is the best for code, but there are other acceptable models.

Upvote 0

JGParamo

Licensed User
True, but imagine if a LLM was specifically trained on B4X forums
Of course, the only reliable and to be trusted source of B4X codes or libraries is from B4X developers themselves and they are from this forum. Maybe another forum posting nice to have feature is code quality level or score based on certain criteria such as applicability, efficiency, or ease of implementation, which can be by forum voting.. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jack Cole

Licensed User
Longtime User
Of course, the only reliable and to be trusted source of B4X codes or libraries is from B4X developers themselves and they are from this forum. Maybe another forum posting nice to have feature is code quality level or score based on certain criteria such as applicability, efficiency, or ease of implementation, which can be by forum voting.. :)
Another way to do it is by the reputation of the forum user. For example, training the code generator only on @Erel 's responses would be 🔥. But if it was being trained to be a chatbot, having the initial question and code and the correct answer would be pretty important for teaching the model how to answer the questions.

Upvote 0

magicmars

Licensed User
I will try to do it using this tool : https://flowiseai.com/

I spent all the week end discovering it. Seems so powerful !😍
Tutorial here : Flowise Tutorial

I tried witt Autogen studio 2, with local LLM (LM Studio), but my 16Go ram is not enought to use a good local model ('I trid Mistral 7B, codeLamma 7b) .
Will try with embbedings and chat GPT 3.5. Maybe a mix of them with LLM. (cost)

Is there a way to get the forum topic/ messages as json or should I scrap it ? 😇

Upvote 0