iOS Question This bundle is invalid. The IPA format requires a top-level directory named Payload, containing only

b4auser1

Licensed User
Longtime User
B4I ver. 3.60 and hosted builder.

I did the steps to upload an app to iTunes connect are:
1. Compile in Release mode.
2. Download with Tools - Build Server - Download Last Built.
3. Upload with Tools - Build Server - Upload App to iTunes Connect.

The application is built in release mode. It works on device without connection to computer with B4i.

b4auser1

Licensed User
Longtime User
1 package(s) were not uploaded because they had problems:
/var/folders/lj/wrbzzxds6b53f88_rx3x7c800000gn/T/A96F913F-FAFC-4606-85AE-E139C0397851/1234137009.itmsp - Error Messages:
ERROR ITMS-90017: "This bundle is invalid. The IPA format requires a top-level directory named Payload, containing only a .app bundle and optional plugins in a Plugins directory."
2017-05-08 10:51:55.626 altool[69963:69135218] *** Error: Errors uploading 'C:\Downloads\KosherGroup.ipa': (
"Error Domain=ITunesTransporterErrorDomain Code=-18000 \"ERROR ITMS-90017: \"This bundle is invalid. The IPA format requires a top-level directory named Payload, containing only a .app bundle and optional plugins in a Plugins directory.\"\" UserInfo={NSLocalizedRecoverySuggestion=ERROR ITMS-90017: \"This bundle is invalid. The IPA format requires a top-level directory named Payload, containing only a .app bundle and optional plugins in a Plugins directory.\", NSLocalizedDescription=ERROR ITMS-90017: \"This bundle is invalid. The IPA format requires a top-level directory named Payload, containing only a .app bundle and optional plugins in a Plugins directory.\", NSLocalizedFailureReason=ERROR ITMS-90017: \"This bundle is invalid. The IPA format requires a top-level directory named Payload, containing only a .app bundle and optional plugins in a Plugins directory.\"}"
)

Upvote 0

b4auser1

Licensed User
Longtime User
WO: I investigated and found that my ipa file contains *.dSYM folder in Payload, though ipa file shouldn't contain it. Only app Archive.zip can contain *.dSYM folder.
I deleted the *.dSYM folder in the ipa file and managed to upload ipa file to iTunes connect successfully.

Upvote 0

Christian García S.

Licensed User
Hello, today I want to publish my app, I have the same error:

upload_2017-5-8_17-16-31.png

I have version B4I 4.0 Beta #1, MacOS Sierra with Application Loader 3.6 (1020).

I was trying to create ipa manually from tmp.zip unsuccessfully.

If a uncompress zip file and delete dSYM folder I got new errors like that:

upload_2017-5-8_18-24-13.png

Thanks.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

b4auser1

Licensed User
Longtime User
Your project references a Swift library, right?
This is the list of the libraries in my project.
NumberOfLibraries=8
Library1=icore
Library2=isql
Library3=ihud
Library4=istringutils
Library5=iui8
Library6=ihttp
Library7=ijson
Library8=iphone

ipa might be created because of this ?
Suggestion 1:
#MinVersion: 8.0
Suggestion 2:
#ProvisionFile: Adhoc_001.mobileprovision

http://engineering.2359media.net/bl...an-ios-application-for-distribution-manually/
"Usually the process of application submit / export through Xcode starts by creating an archive and this archive can be used to submit the application to Appstore directly or build an ipa file ready to be distributed manually."

Upvote 0

b4auser1

Licensed User
Longtime User
Upvote 0

tufanv

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
A request to any developer that encountered this issue with the hosted builder:
Please build the app in release mode (with store certificate). Download it with Tools - Build Server - Download last build and try to submit it.
If it fails then please send me archive.zip to [email protected].
Erel,

I am exmperiencing in now, build with store certificate but getting error : ERROR ITMS-90017
I wanted to send you the file as you requested but there are no acrchive files , just a tmp and ipa file. I dont have any swift libraries in my app.

Upvote 0

fredo

Licensed User
Longtime User
WO: I investigated and found that my ipa file contains *.dSYM folder in Payload, though ipa file shouldn't contain it. Only app Archive.zip can contain *.dSYM folder.
I deleted the *.dSYM folder in the ipa file and managed to upload ipa file to iTunes connect successfully.
This is an old thread, I know.
Nevertheless, I would like to confirm here that the error also occurred with me today and could be fixed by removing the folder "dSYM" inside the ipa file.

Upvote 0