Trial app

jpvniekerk

Licensed User
Longtime User
I am at the point of releasing my first b4a app to the marketplace (for sale).

As an appetizer I want to also make a trial version available. this will have full functionality, but have a limited time - say 30 days. After this trial period the user should not be able to run the program (just get a message that the trial has expired).

Also - the trial must not be able to run again ever - even if the user downloads the app again.

What would be the best (and secure) way to achieve this?

jpvniekerk

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks NJDude.

However - I failed to mention it in the first post - my app will be used a lot in areas where there are no cell or internet connection. Some users may be in such areas for weeks at a time. The system must not depend on internet connection.

All controls must be on the device itself.

Upvote 0

JonPM

Licensed User
Longtime User
It's possible by storing the info locally, however the trial could be easily bypassed by clearing the apps cache

Upvote 0

jpvniekerk

Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm thinking of the following:

When the program starts, it checks for a specific file (with the installation date as text) in the "DirInternal" folder. If the file is not found there (the first time the program runs after installation) it will create the file and put the current date in it.
The next (and future) times the program starts, it will find the file and compare the install date (in the file) with the current date, and determine how many days of the trial is left, and if < 0, quits the program after a message.

What's the caveats with such a system - or is there a better (more secure way) to do this without the web?

Upvote 0

lorebf

Licensed User
Longtime User
Make it create a "secret" file somewhere on the SDcard that is hard to find.
That way it doesn't matter if the app is uninstalled and then reinstalled..

Upvote 0