Wish Ubuntu/Linux Mint B4A

Devv

Licensed User
Longtime User
I wish to be able to run B4A officially on Linux Mint
if i understand B4A correctly then B4aA job is: to translate Basic code to java (Beside lots of useful and complicated IDE features).

with my limited knowledge i assume that it wont be so hard to port it to Linux, because java and android development are already supported from google (Android Studio).
so i think all the hard work will be making the Linux IDE.

i believe Erel won't spent his time redoing all the ide work just to support another platform, my suggestion is why not to use eclipse or any other configuration-able IDE ?
It is not necessary to have the same windows B4A IDE.
any IDE that can get the job done on linux will be great (even if it is not feature rich as windows version)

any ideas or thought is welcomed !

Roycefer

Licensed User
Longtime User
I think that in order to break into the big leagues, the B4X IDEs will eventually have to be developed with B4J, which means they will have to run in the JVM, making them cross platform. All the big boys develop themselves: Qt Creator, NetBeans, Eclipse, VS, etc...

Devv

Licensed User
Longtime User
I think that in order to break into the big leagues, the B4X IDEs will eventually have to be developed with B4J, which means they will have to run in the JVM, making them cross platform. All the big boys develop themselves: Qt Creator, NetBeans, Eclipse, VS, etc...
i don't think "B4X IDEs" are made with B4J
i have never used B4J , but i saw a post of erel saying that B4A IDE is have lots of third-party software, which means that B4A IDE is not made with B4J or at least not purley B4J.

Another thought will be that if it is really made with B4Jm Erel could port it easily to linux, and we would have B$a for linux years ago.

Roycefer

Licensed User
Longtime User
I didn't say they were developed with B4J. I said they will EVENTUALLY have to be developed with B4J in order to be taken seriously by the development community. A happy side effect of transitioning the IDEs from the .NET framework to the JVM is that they will become cross platform. So far, the rationale for not pursuing cross platform capability is that Windows is the dominant platform for general computer users and Linux users make for a microscopic minority. However B4X isn't intended for the general computing audience. It is intended for programmers. Windows isn't nearly as dominant among that population as it is among general computer users.

This blog post is a little old and its statistics are restricted to developers using Eclipse but it illustrates the ascendancy of Linux usage among developers: http://redmonk.com/sogrady/2010/10/27/developer-os-preferences/ . Even though Windows is still in the majority in these stats, a very large potential market is ignored by not making the IDEs cross platform. For example, almost half of Java developers using Eclipse develop on non-Windows computers.