B4A Library UltimateWebView Custom View

Ivica Golubovic

Licensed User
Oooh.... my application use a lot UltimateWebView. Panic
The application size of the simplest WebBrowser made with the UltimateWebView library is about 2.5MB. The same WebBrowser application made with the help of WebkitLibrariesSet is about 0.8MB! The difference is evident.

max123

Licensed User
Longtime User
You will continue eventually to do support (not update) for already working progress apps ?

max123

Licensed User
Longtime User
The application size of the simplest WebBrowser made with the UltimateWebView library is about 2.5MB. The same WebBrowser application made with the help of WebkitLibrariesSet is about 0.8MB! The difference is evident.
Great, this is the way to do it, I use this technique expecially on Arduino side where I developed a lots of libraries, one of these is an OTA library for ESP8266 and ESP32 that permit to do Over The Air update from Arduino IDE or from Browser or directly from Server by putting a file it autoupdate itself.

On this direction when I started OTA library I made a single big library with 3 different ways, next I divided it, so now are 3 different libraries, this help to consume less memory, in a modular way.... and even both 3 libraries can be used at same time by importing it.

Too big and complex libraries are not great, more time to develop, difficult to mantain, more memory consumed for code not used.

Last edited:

Ivica Golubovic

Licensed User
I know your project. In any case, I suggest that when you have time, make a copy of the project and slightly modify it. The new libraries use far fewer devices resources, thus the application puts less strain on the device, runs much faster and takes up less space both in the RAM memory and in the device's internal memory.

max123

Licensed User
Longtime User
Well, I need to optimize it, when I finish my app probably I switch on a new library, I'm sure you support the way on this forum to gentlement switch from old to new UltimateWebView based on WebkitLibrariesSet. Most peoples use it.

Ivica Golubovic

Licensed User
Well, I need to optimize it, when I finish my app probably I switch on a new library, I'm sure you support the way on this forum to gentlement switch from old to new UltimateWebView based on WebkitLibrariesSet. Most peoples use it.
In any case, the transition will be supported in all ways. I know a lot of people use UltimateWebView and the transition process is quite painful. But UltimateWebView has become a bulky library that contains a lot of classes that many people don't use at all in most projects. All those unnecessary classes are referenced in the application when the library is used and therefore take up resources. That's why I decided to take this painful step. It was also a painful transition to B4X pages, but it turned out to be very useful.

max123

Licensed User
Longtime User
But you work on it from more time or is a pretty new one ? It is already a stable solution that cover what UltimateWebView can do ?
When you release a stable version ?

Ivica Golubovic

Licensed User
But you work on it from more time or is a pretty new one ? It is already a stable solution that cover what UltimateWebView can do ?
When you release a stable version ?
It's basically 97% UltimateWebView, just broken up into libraries that contain classes. So all the classes that made up one big UltimateWebView are left, just separated so that they can be used only in case they are really needed.

max123

Licensed User
Longtime User
IMHO divide it to use in a modular way is an optimal solution, your UltimateWebView library actually is very powerful but even very complex to use and consume a lot. Please when you release the new library, if you can put all relevant libraries in a single place. Thanks for great work.

max123

Licensed User
Longtime User
I vote +1.

I really interested to the new library too, this way I can replace the old with the new library in my app... And because my app do an intensive use of it, you will have another beta-tester beta-bank Ivica

My app actually do follow things with UltimateWebView:
- show a realtime IP cam MJPEG stream from ESP32CAM and Raspberry + cam
- do ESP8266/ESP32 OTA updates with webserver served page and login
- last tested, show threejs 3D scenes

I want to ask for a library development state, there are some news?

Now it's time to implement it if it is mature... so we can skip to the next step.

Many Thanks

Last edited:

Cesaral

You can use it as long as you want, but it will no longer be updated in that form. For future projects, my advice is to use WebkitLibrariesSet.
Where can I download the UltimateWebView library? I can´t find it any more. The new one does not have documentation and I prefer to use this one for now. Thanks

max123

Licensed User
Longtime User
Where can I download the UltimateWebView library? I can´t find it any more. The new one does not have documentation and I prefer to use this one for now. Thanks
The new library even break support for Android 6 and 7 devices and won't work on these devices, seem only work on Android 8+, so I think that is useful have a download link for both libraries, even if no more supported.

Ivica Golubovic

Licensed User
The new library even break support for Android 6 and 7 devices and won't work on these devices, seem only work on Android 8+, so I think that is useful have a download link for both libraries, even if no more supported.
UltimateWV have problems on SDK 31+.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…