Uploading to Android Market?

DevBaby

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have two apk files for the same game. One file is targeted for the 10 inch tablet (always landscaped) and the other is targeted for all other devces under 10 inches (always potrait).

It was my understanding that the Google's play store would allow you to dictate which apk is installed for the device seeking to download the app.

I have set up an account at google and I have been successfully uploaded one apk "test" file, however I do not see how I can have more than one apk file for a single app represented in the play store.

Am I not able to have two apk files sitting behind a single app name?

Can I determine the link that my app will have on Google's play store prior to publishing my app? My app is designed posts a link on Facebook referencing itself on the play store. However, I don't yet know the link during set up.

NJDude

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Both APKs must have different names, to make your app visible just to the devices you want, you will have to modify your Manifest, especially these lines:
B4X:
<supports-screens android:largeScreens="true" 
                  android:normalScreens="true" 
                  android:smallScreens="true"

You will have to adjust those accordingly.

Upvote 0

DevBaby

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks for your response, I am a little confused....does a large screen always mean 10 inch tablets?

For 7 inch tablets, I still want the portrait apk to load. And I belive some 7 inch tablets can have the same resolution as some 10 inch tables, I could be wrong on that one. I just thought there would be a more explicit way of targetting a device.

Upvote 0

NJDude

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I think you are complicating things, you could have only 1 app and then just determine the screen size of the device and change the orientation, that would be in my opinion the best solution.

Take a look at the attached sample.

Attachments

• SizeSample.zip
    6.9 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
Upvote 0

DevBaby

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks,

You are right...I did not know the orientation setting existed (phone library) when I began programming. I now have two apps (same internal operational code), with different screen code. I will have to merge the two into one app. This should not take too long (1 day maybe)

Maybe this is a good thing, I split the apps about 3 weeks ago and have been gettig tired of making changes in two places every time I wanted to change the core code.

I looked at the example you sent, are there any cases (phone types, android types) for when the code you gave me will not work?

Thanks again, I wish I had come across that code 1 month ago...

Upvote 0

Harris

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
On my 7 inch Acer A100 (1024x600 - 160), the button says 10 inch tab - Landscape. Is that expected?

Upvote 0

DevBaby

Licensed User
Longtime User
Those dimensions come out to a 7.41 inch screen, which is the same result for my Kindle Fire. This is the actual diagonal length (or Hypotenuse) of the screen for a device given the parameters (1024 X 600 @ 160). This is what the formula in the code solves for.

Technically, I believe, Kindle Fire and other Tablets may not accurately reflect all of the parameters and, therefore, there is a skewed result when applying the formula.

My Kindle measures 7 inches diagonally (with a ruler) which leads me to believe that it is not truly 1024 X 600 @ 160 because these dimension actually measure to 7.41.

To answer your question, the formula is correct at 7.41. I think you should change the test threshold for determining a 10 inch Tablet, I initially used Result > 7.5 = 10 inch Tablet. I now use > 9 because I realize there are 8 inch etc tablets out there on the market that I would want to run in portrait also.

Upvote 0