V6.76 correct version is online (no installation required)

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
The same link now points to the correct version.
The zip file includes the device installer and the desktop folder.
No installation is required on the desktop. Just extract Basic4ppc Desktop folder, copy license.txt to this folder and run Basic4ppc Desktop.exe.

There is an issue with the help files. If you like to view the help file then you will need to right click on Basic4ppc.chm and choose "Unblock".

I'm thinking of releasing Basic4ppc from now on without an installer (I'll find a better solution for the help files).
What do you think about this type of deployment?

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
A couple of minor points.

1) Is the name change of Dbasic.exe permanent?

2) The desktop still requires Vista Administrator permissions in order to save its' ini file.

3) I had no problems accessing the help.

I'm thinking of releasing Basic4ppc from now on without an installer (I'll find a better solution for the help files).
The problem without an installer is that to put it in a non-standard folder needs a bit of fiddling around if the standard folder is burnt into the zip as it is with this version. Also the Start Menu shortcuts have to be created by hand. Other than that I have no problems with "xcopy" install.

Rioven

Licensed User
Longtime User
The device IDE menu is now works perfectly with all of my themes on my SE Xperia X1i. Also, now loads faster. GREAT!!!!

I am going test installing with my brand new desktop Windows Vista home(basic).:)

Woinowski

Licensed User
Longtime User
There is an issue with the help files. If you like to view the help file then you will need to right click on Basic4ppc.chm and choose "Unblock".

WRT the help file: I do not find an option "unblock" or a German equivalent. So the workaround does not work for me. Besides, one would have to do this for the every of the help files.

WRT to the installer question: I strongly suggest to keep with an installer. It is just good and common practice and can be expected from any serious software. I personally like the comfort. And, although most Basic4PPC users will know how install without an installer, there may be others.

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Only the BETA versions are being released without an installer, for easy of use by the beta tester group, ALL OFICIAL versions are issued with an msi installer package...and in my opionon, should stay that way..