Bug? [v9.0] Rapid debugger fails to connect on restart

Computersmith64

Licensed User
Longtime User
Didn't notice this as an issue with the v9.0 Betas, however since installing the release version this morning I find that if an app is running in debug mode & I click on the Restart button in the B4A IDE, the app fails to restart & I get the "Rapid debugger failed to connect to process" dialog. There is no error in the log.

If I then recompile by clicking the Run or Restart button, the app does a full compile & runs as expected.

On further investigation, it seems that his only happens if the app is restarted without making any changes. If I make a change (I tested by adding a simple Log("Hello") statement to Activity_Create in the Main activity), it restarts OK.

I thought it might just be an issue with one particular project, however I have tested this on multiple different projects & it's the same.

- Colin.

Pendrush

Licensed User
Longtime User
I can confirm same behavior.
If the app is restarted without making any changes I get the "Rapid debugger failed to connect to process. Prease try to run again."

josejad

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Just for info: I've just tested, but it works ok for me, I can't reproduce the issue.

Computersmith64

Licensed User
Longtime User
Yes it did happen on every restart & with every project I tested it on. It worked properly if I clicked on the stop button & then on the run button (but not if I clicked on the restart button).

Having said that, it now appears to be working correctly. The only difference between when I submitted the bug report & now is that I ran the SDK manager yesterday & downloaded / updated all the packages it recommended - so perhaps there was something in there that resolved the issue?

- Colin.

Computersmith64

Licensed User
Longtime User
I don't think that it is related to the SDK version. It seems like a timing issue where the IDE restarts the app too fast, before the app process is killed. I will add a half second delay and see whether it helps. It does happen here from time to time.

That makes sense. I have seen it happen on occasion in the past too, but yesterday it was every time.

- Colin.