Bug? Variable name not recognised in Obfuscate and compile code

Simon Kinsey v2

Licensed User
Longtime User
I keep getting an unrecognised variable name error when I try to compile and obfuscate my code.

I have compiled the code for release many times without problems. When obfuscating, it won't get past the following code in a class file called Scoring

B4X:
Public Sub Score_msg As String
Dim Msg As String
Msg = C_msg & " £"
Msg = Msg & Round(Score)
Msg = Msg & C_unit
Return Msg

End Sub

Compilation says that Msg is not a recognised variable name. I tried changing the variable name to X without success. I tried removing the underscore from the method name, and returning a string literal instead of the variable value. It makes no difference - even a string literal is an unrecognised variable name. The variables beginning with C_ are instance variables.

If I remove this whole routine from Public Sub to End Sub, I get the same error message at the Return statement in the code below it:

B4X:
Public Sub Low_funds As Boolean
Return (Score < Const.WARNING )
End Sub

This is frustrating as it is the last compile I need before releasing the program. Any suggestions on what I can do?

Simon Kinsey v2

Licensed User
Longtime User
Version 4.0 of B4A helped, because the error messages from the compiler are more specific.

I have found the problem. If a variable name or function includes a reserved word preceded by an underscore, then the compilere treats the reserved word as a variable name. So, in the function get_rect it reports that it cannot find the variable _rect.

I removed underscores from functions including reserved word names, and it now compiles fine.