Games Vertical scrolling game (some advice / direction wanted).

WebbyBoy

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi All,

I'm thinking of creating a vertical scrolling game, where the object you control is constantly falling & will bounce off various things & make them disappear. Kind of like a reverse Tetris I suppose.

I've been looking into various methods to present this, but I'm really only a beginner when it comes to game creation & would like a little advice/direction if anyone would care to chime in.

• Possible views so far, is using SV2D for use as a verticle scroll view, to which I may be able to add a tiled panel as the background & then add objects to that panel for interaction?
  • I was also wondering about the Tiled (application) & its infinite map, but I'm not currently experienced enough to make that work (or know if it will). I've just about managed to update the Tiiled examples, but have not added my own maps yet.
  • How would you set up the gravity for a game like that?
If you were going to create a vertical game, how would you set about it & what libraries would you use?

Thanks in advance for any responses. Just looking for a step in the right direction, before I go running off the wrong way.

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
actually this is a very simple game concept and it is more simple then it first look like.

you can use several tools for it i would recommend to use X2 since it will be cross platform.
you dont need to use Tiled since you want to create an endless world so there is no logic to use tiled is such a game.

what you need to do is to understand how games work for example the cycle in a game. there are many many examples in the forum.
i would recommend you to go first through the simple games here that uses only canvas to draw the whole game. this will give you the basics on how
games work then you could use X2.

the obstacles can/should be box2d bodies. this will save you big headache of collision detection.
the flappy bird example of erel will help you understand how to create new bodies (pipes in this game) and this should be the same concept for your game idea.

good luck!

WebbyBoy

Licensed User
Longtime User
actually this is a very simple game concept and it is more simple then it first look like.

you can use several tools for it i would recommend to use X2 since it will be cross platform.
you dont need to use Tiled since you want to create an endless world so there is no logic to use tiled is such a game.

what you need to do is to understand how games work for example the cycle in a game. there are many many examples in the forum.
i would recommend you to go first through the simple games here that uses only canvas to draw the whole game. this will give you the basics on how
games work then you could use X2.

the obstacles can/should be box2d bodies. this will save you big headache of collision detection.
the flappy bird example of erel will help you understand how to create new bodies (pipes in this game) and this should be the same concept for your game idea.

good luck!
Cheers for the reply.

I started with reviewing the X2 stuff, but I think that might be beyond me at the moment. I was struggling with even the basics, but that's what introduced me to Tiled & object layers etc, so always in at the deep end. I was looking at the smiley demo last night, as it has the basics in it. Going to have a go at the flappy birds one now.

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
i am planning to make 4 games in the next 3-4 weeks and one of them is a vertical fall down game.
i guess i will use x2 for those games since they are very simple and will use physics.

WebbyBoy

Licensed User
Longtime User
i am planning to make 4 games in the next 3-4 weeks and one of them is a vertical fall down game.
i guess i will use x2 for those games since they are very simple and will use physics.
I hope you get them made & maybe even share a little bit of your method. I've been experimenting with some of the X2 demos regarding collisions, but the scrolling base (vertical or otherwise) is still beyond me yet. Still, I didn't expect to just be able to do it so I'll figure it out eventually.