Android Question Video Screen Capture (KitKat)

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
hi

since KitKat it is possible to record any activity in your screen. B4a IDE got also a possibility to record the screen on my phone (up to 30 sec).

Does anyone know how to do that? (capture screen through service)

JordiCP

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I fear the only way for non-rooted devices and without usb, is to activate your front cam and put your device in front of a mirror ;) (sorry for the bad joke)

But It "should" be possible to record any view in your own app (not the whole screen, but the view) since we have access to its contents

Upvote 0

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I fear the only way for non-rooted devices and without usb, is to activate your front cam and put your device in front of a mirror ;) (sorry for the bad joke)

But It "should" be possible to record any view in your own app (not the whole screen, but the view) since we have access to its contents

Actually it should be very simple.
There are lots of screen capture apps that doesnot need a rooted device to work since google enabled that feature since kitkat Lollipop.

@Erel use that feature in his b4a ide so that should be possible without the mirror ;)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hecorat.screenrecorder.free

Edit: sorry since Lollipop!

Upvote 0

JordiCP

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Really interesting! I didn't know of it!!! :)

I thought that the B4A IDE feature was only through USB using adb shell

So it should be possible to do an app as the AZ Screen recorder....

Upvote 0

JordiCP

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
we may need a Java expert for that :)
Yes, it's time to light the batman signal!!!;)

mm_14kjhy.jpg
or
mm_14kjiq.jpg

Upvote 0

moster67

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I was going to look into it but maybe someone else is already doing it...

Upvote 0

moster67

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
OK, however in this moment I need to finish another project so I can start looking into it sometime towards the end of next week. Maybe @DonManfred has a "more free schedule" and can do it before me. I will PM @DonManfred before starting.

Upvote 0

cambopad

Licensed User
Longtime User
It's great if you can write this library! I am also searching for a lib that can record the video of phone screen. Most of the app can record video on Android 5+ without any problem. But for OS <5, we need additional action like connecting our phone via USB cable to the computer.

Upvote 0

moster67

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
But for OS <5, we need additional action like connecting our phone via USB cable to the computer.
...and that fact remains. If I manage to write this wrapper it will be =>API21. There is no way around it, as far as I know, unless you have a rooted device.

Upvote 0

cambopad

Licensed User
Longtime User
...and that fact remains. If I manage to write this wrapper it will be =>API21. There is no way around it, as far as I know, unless you have a rooted device.

I think you should stick to Android 5+. As more and more people are moving to use Android 5. Maybe in the next 5 months or 1 year, Android 5 will become the big market share among the Android versions.

I observed on the Playstore, and found that most people don't want to use USB cable or rooted phone in order to record their phones screen, so I would suggest you to do it for Android 5+.

Upvote 0