Videogames!

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Jet Set Willy 1 & 2 were cool games, but too hard for most people and too many screens but they had a lot of different animated sprites.

Luca: your retro watch battery lasted for years, try that with todays smartwatch gear (probably requires a daily recharge) ;)

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
i have played a lot in the 90's, i liked to play maniac mansion, resident evil, (Sega, gameboy, Nintendo ...)

but as a young child (about 6-7) i played Bruce Lee on the Commodore 64, its was really a great game...

but i think the best game i have played was Call Of Duty 4, now i dont have time for this, last game i played was few month ago (maybe year or more) and it was battlefield3...

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Bruce Lee was a nice one indeed, someone is doing a sequel of it for the C64.

The same company released Zorro which was in the same style but you had to solved some kind of puzzles in the game with objects found in the rooms.

corwin42

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
its amazing that you can still find a C64 (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Commodore-6...tage_Computers_Mainframes&hash=item3a9efb6435)

c64 was released more than 30 years ago... (1982 i think)

I think when I dig deep enough in my parents house I will find my C64 somewhere. :)

I played several games years ago. One of my all time favorites on the C64 was M.U.L.E. Best Multiplayer game since today.
At my student time I remember that I played Doom completely to the end on the hardest level. This took weeks.

The last game that fascinated me was Ingress. Ok, not really a video game but it was a totally new gaming experience.

andymc

Licensed User
Longtime User
I started out on an Amstrad CPC computer with a green screen monitor and 64k of Ram.
img_2248.jpg

then we eventually moved onto the mighty Amiga 500+
173825819_c1525c041d-585a8e6681212288.jpg

then like everyone else I finally settled into PCs.

On the Amstrad my favourite games were:
Ghostbusters
Elite
Roland in time (manic miner ripoff)
Dizzy

On the Amiga:
Lotus 220 turbo chellange
Trex Warrior
Formula one grand prix
Hard Drivin
Elite 2: Frontier

The early games that got me into PCs were Doom and Quake

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Wasn't that Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge? that game ruled on Amiga.

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I don't remember the name of the games that I created in the 80's so it's even harder to remember the name of games I played ! :) I just remember that I played on an Atari 2600 console and on the Sinclair's computers (ZX81, Spectrum). I played a lot of video games in the 80's and 90's then stopped progressively. Mainly because I prefer to play around a table with friends. Nowadays, I don't really have the time to play. I try to keep time to play board games with friends from time to time. However, each year, I select one video game and I play it a lot in a short period of time (it's my gaming week of the year ;)). This year it's Age of Wonders 3. Past years: Civ 5, Skyrim, Bioshock Infinite. All these games are really impressive and addictive. Under Android, I played so many games (mainly to know what's done by others) that I cannot list them all. On one of my tablets, there are probably more than 40 games still installed. But I rarely spent more than half an hour on each of them. Most of these little games are definitely not my cup of tea. My latest disappointements are "Out there" and "Frederic Resurection of Music". I don't understand their excellent rating.

do you still have those 80's games you have created? I'm very curious to see them...

Informatix

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
do you still have those 80's games you have created? I'm very curious to see them...
Not sure. I threw my reader of floppy disks some years ago and I threw a lot of my disks to the bin this summer. Some of these games were on tape and these tapes are destroyed since long. The code of these programs was probably horrible so I'm glad if they are lost forever. I can listen with nostalgia to my first music pieces (although they are horrible too) while I have no nostalgia for my early works on computers.

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Too bad, I do not know why but sometimes when I see old games i am more amazed when i see new...

It is very surprising to see how those old game with the old technology still are nice and amusing..

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
you mean more amazed when seeing new games on those old systems?

you can't really compare new game and old systems.

these days the graphics cards have 20.000 times more memory than the old system had for everything.

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
i mean see those old games and think how they did it..

how the devs from the old generation tought about small details and made very nice games without libgdx :D

and also very smallsized games (few kb's)..

udg

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
and also very smallsized games (few kb's)..

Many here recalls Quarterdeck's QEMM, expanded/extended memory and the best loading order to gain the most free RAM for programs..:)
It was from an era when a few KBs made a difference but before that we even struggled for each single byte in RAM..and that remains as a second nature for most of us.

This is why I was so concerned to take my 15Tiles game from about 470KB to about 830KB just for the different incidental music. I understand that today is somewhat stupid to be so much concerned about one's app RAM footprint but how can you fight your decades -old nature?

wonder

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Chapter 3 - First 3D Games
I remember quite well, the first 3D game I tried was Virtua Racing on my friend's SEGA MegaDrive (Genesis). For some reason I wasn't blown away, but it made quite an impression. Soon after I was experiencing the 3D revolution at home, playing Doom II, Descent and Duke Nukem 3D. There was such a huge leap from 1992 to 1997, it was amazing to see technology evolving day after day!

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
@ilan12041981 : yeah, some of these "simple" games can be tricky to make.

@udg : tell me about it, I have a selector on my old machine where I could easily select qemm, qemm+emm386, himem only, the above with cd rom drivers etc :)

I think that the rise of CDs spoiled a lot, then they started adding megabytes of useless animation interludes to games.

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I saw virtua racer in a pub in 93 I think, that was a nice surprise and I wonder why you were not impressed?

It was really smooth and it was driving in a real 3D scene unlike most games back then that were flat none texture polygon based.

wonder

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I saw virtua racer in a pub in 93 I think, that was a nice surprise and I wonder why you were not impressed?

It was really smooth and it was driving in a real 3D scene unlike most games back then that were flat none texture polygon based.
Don't get me wrong, I was quite impressed but the first 3D game that really blown me away in terms of graphics was Virtua Fighter 3 in its original big screen arcade machine!

1181242184446.jpg

udg

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Oh yes, the cd-rom drivers! There was a time you had to load that uncommon stuff too..
I'm sure that somewhere in the garage I stil have a box full of 5.25" floppy disks and a few 8" too .. but don't tell it to my wife, she would carelessly trash all of it in no time :(
And talking about floppies, they bring to memory those days when you simply formatted one in a non-standard way to have a "key-disk" as your copy-protection scheme (others used to deploy fake "bad sectors" here and there).

Let me see if I can spot that old pong console named "TV Sport 1004" and a TV to play with. Meanwhile you can have a peek at it here.
That was the only game I was good at :oops: