Wish Visual server apps

Haris Hafeez

Licensed User
Longtime User
B4J is awesome for what it does. However, given my work with enterprises and dealing with CIOs, they are not so keen on using Java on the desktop anymore. Can't blame them as Oracle has done $#!T of a job with Java. Additionally, while the browser plugin runs in a different VM than desktop Java, the perception is that Java on the desktop is unsafe and is therefore dead.

Please don't get me wrong. There is still a lot of Java desktop products out there and will remain to be. But for new projects, I'm not convinced Java will be in much favor among the decision making crowd.

So what I propose is that B4J to be designed so that it makes it simpler to make jQuery fronted and Java backed server applications. This is where I truly believe this product can shine. The ease with which you could build enterprise, zero client deployment apps will make it a hit with architects and CIOs alike who're all looking for the next thing to take their productivity to the next level. Enterprises are still very big on web development and if we can show them the productivity gains, its gold.

I would love to hear the other side of the argument and see what you guys are working on with desktop Java.

Best.
Harris

Haris Hafeez

Licensed User
Longtime User
Yes I've seen it and know that B4J can be used to create headless, server apps. What I'm referring to is using the visual designer and have the jQuery front-end generated as well. That way, I won't have to rely on an external tool (or coding jQuery directly) to create user interfaces.

Haris Hafeez

Licensed User
Longtime User
Visual designer for front pages and javascripts is good.

GWT framework will also be useful.

FYI: https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/threads/webapp-generate-jquery-ui-on-demand.40490/
Thanks for the link. That's indeed a very useful piece of work.

But that still doesn't make it as seamless to develop jQuery fronted web apps as it is to make Java desktop apps with B4J.

As for GWT, I've used it in the past and its great but then we're talking about writing and maintaining code in Java in addition to B4J.

I want to move to a B4J only setup where everything is done within B4J. Of course, if people want customization then CSS and JS come into play but for the most clients I work with, they will happily just use the out of the box functionality for their internal apps.