Android Question Walkie Talkie over cell Networks

MODERN TALKING

Licensed User
Longtime User
Cell Networks like GSM through a Telco will be MUCH MORE expensive than Data Connections and Wi-Fi

Maybe when you are in the Jungle, Satellite would be better - which is what I am looking for

Upvote 0

iCAB

Licensed User
Longtime User
Cell Networks like GSM through a Telco will be MUCH MORE expensive than Data Connections and Wi-Fi
Maybe when you are in the Jungle, Satellite would be better - which is what I am looking for

Hi Goldman
I meant data connection over cell network or Wifi, it doesn't really matter, as long as the participants aren't on the same local area network.

Upvote 0

iCAB

Licensed User
Longtime User
It is not possible to make an incoming connection over the cellular network. This means that you cannot connect two devices directly.
Hi Erel

Thanks for your reply.
I wasn't planning to have a direct connection. instead a WebSocket relay using a B4J middleware.

But I don't have enough experience streaming and concatinating wave files in real time. I am worried about the quality and having the voice waves chopped.

Check the quality on this app. https://zello.com/app I am wondering how it's done.

Upvote 0

BillMeyer

Licensed User
Longtime User
Zello have an API. It is here

I have looked a several of these and different ways of doing it and always return to Zello. I just have not had the time to sit and look at it in depth. This situation should change in 3 weeks time though and 'll report back as to what I can do.

Maybe in the meantime there is someone else who might see their way clear of doing a feasibility study.

Upvote 0

iCAB

Licensed User
Longtime User
Zello have an API. It is here

I have looked a several of these and different ways of doing it and always return to Zello. I just have not had the time to sit and look at it in depth. This situation should change in 3 weeks time though and 'll report back as to what I can do.

Maybe in the meantime there is someone else who might see their way clear of doing a feasibility study.
Hi Bill
Thanks for your feedback. But I believe the SDK cost is 6$/month per user, which can be an issue .

Upvote 0

iCAB

Licensed User
Longtime User
Use Voip/SIP, no need to reinvent hot water. A simple server and the work is done. And the call is full duplex.
Hi Tigort

Thanks for your input.
Sounds interesting, I will dig into it.

Have you done it?,
do you know if it does work for group chat in real time?

Upvote 0

iCAB

Licensed User
Longtime User
Yes, it's a phone system. You can have a PABX to switch hundreds of communications and make a conference between a number of smartphones. For server, look for voip pabx on Google. They are free. Or you can hire one virtual PABX on public servers.

Thanks again,
It looks like a solution that might work, as long as it allows auto answer (so it will act as a regular walkie-talkie)

One issue, I was unable to find a B4I library as the app must work on iPhone as well

Upvote 0

tigrot

Licensed User
Longtime User
Dunno if a B4I library is present, the question was on B4A forum. I have abandoned IOS development, because of restricted Apple's policies. Almost none of my App working in Android were working on IOS, and Apple takes 2 weeks for approving a single patch(!!!!) and many times denies. Ask on this site for this capability. Or build a wrapper for some library you can find on the net. Look https://www.linphone.org/
they have a nice library and also a free server to host your calls. The phone App can be controlled via Api very well.

Upvote 0

Daniel-White

Licensed User
Longtime User
mmm,
Hi Erel

Thanks for your reply.
I wasn't planning to have a direct connection. instead, a WebSocket relay using a B4J middleware.

But I don't have enough experience streaming and concatenating wave files in real time. I am worried about the quality and having the voice waves chopped.

Check the quality on this app. https://zello.com/app I am wondering how it's done.

My guessings iCAB, Zello is using Multicast, because they are looking to work like a RADIOS with PTT buttons, download it, and put a sniffer to capture the data packets, perhaps you will see multicast IP address such as 224.0.0.0 to 239.255.255.25. Or follow the idea of tigrot use an iPBX, perhaps is a good idea read about SIP-Proxy.

Upvote 0

imbault

Licensed User
Longtime User
Dunno if a B4I library is present, the question was on B4A forum. I have abandoned IOS development, because of restricted Apple's policies. Almost none of my App working in Android were working on IOS, and Apple takes 2 weeks for approving a single patch(!!!!) and many times denies. Ask on this site for this capability. Or build a wrapper for some library you can find on the net. Look https://www.linphone.org/
they have a nice library and also a free server to host your calls. The phone App can be controlled via Api very well.
@tigrot , it sounds very interesting, do you have a demo of your work to show to us?

Upvote 0

iCAB

Licensed User
Longtime User
mmm,

My guessings iCAB, Zello is using Multicast, because they are looking to work like a RADIOS with PTT buttons, download it, and put a sniffer to capture the data packets, perhaps you will see multicast IP address such as 224.0.0.0 to 239.255.255.25. Or follow the idea of tigrot use an iPBX, perhaps is a good idea read about SIP-Proxy.

Daniel, I highly doubt that this is what Zello is doing. I think they go to a middleware which acts as a relay. They also capture and record the messages for you, when you are offline. So obviously there is a server.

Upvote 0

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
They also capture and record the messages for you, when you are offline. So obviously there is a server
Sound plausible/is probably the case.

Upvote 0