Android Question Who Wants to Share a Development (or production) VPS?

Harris

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Erel has introduced RDC (remote database connector). This seems like the way to go when connecting to "any type" of back end database. My pref is MySQL - but this may change.

A Virtual Private Server, with multiple instances of RDC, should fit the bill. Erel stated he can get each of us up and running in our own environment (or instance). He claims a good VPS (that can be remotely managed) will cost (in total) about 40 US per month.

Many of us have a WAMP server installed but don't feel comfortable with the localhost connection. It's too close for comfort. We need a remote server that we can beat up, screw with settings, mod our configs at will and get that warm and fuzzy that all is well in our world.

This first kick should be limited to development - as to decrease the server load.
A consideration for production may follow with lightly loaded server applications. Many would want their own VPS (when successful).

Who's game?

Who will head this up and collect? I suggest, based on the number of interested parties, a yearly fee be imposed and collected.

Reply with "I AM GAME" once in the subject. From this count, the signup price can be determined.

Erel, can you state the other criteria (like what would be the maximum number of RDC per VPS and how do differentiate between user accounts)?

Thanks

merlin2049er

Licensed User
Longtime User
Oh, it's not hard to setup your own virtual server(s) with multiple instances of RDC. I've played around with proxmox, setup a bunch of machines quickly.

Plenty of places (ie. turnkey linux) where you can get your virtual machines to plug into proxmox.

Upvote 0

udg

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I AM GAME

Hi Harris,
let's hope to reach at least 4 of us so for a very small fee we could start playing with this new beast!
In a recent past I paid €40/mo for a dedicated server (Atom DC, 4GB RAM , 500GB HD, 100Mb/s) plus €15 to have a W2008 Server R2 on it 'cause I had to deploy an application written in Delphi.
Currently I'm using free services like 000webhost just to experiment a bit at not cost.

Upvote 0

Harris

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I AM GAME

Hi Harris,
let's hope to reach at least 4 of us so for a very small fee we could start playing with this new beast!
In a recent past I paid €40/mo for a dedicated server (Atom DC, 4GB RAM , 500GB HD, 100Mb/s) plus €15 to have a W2008 Server R2 on it 'cause I had to deploy an application written in Delphi.
Currently I'm using free services like 000webhost just to experiment a bit at not cost.

I also use 000webhost for testing with php and mysql. Great learning experience.
Unfortunately, they don't support the RDC...

Come on guys, two more and we will do it. Geez, we are not askin for a pyramid club or network marketing - it's just a shared server!

(Erel - could you sticky this for a bit so it may stay on top...?)

Thanks

Upvote 0

wl

Licensed User
Longtime User
You can get VPS's for a much lower rate than stated (self-managed of course).

Please have a look at www.lowendbox.com

I have some experience with VPS providers. Send me a message if you require more info.

Upvote 0

Harris

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Good Lord! My head just exploded!

Following the link provided above - I see prices for VPS that my searches didn't pick up.
For 7 bucks, we can do our own each (but much lower shared (good test for loading)).

wl, what is your experience with any of these - considering what we wish to do - RDC?

Thanks for the info... There are so many to choose from.

Upvote 0

wl

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Harris,

I don't have experience with RDC but do have experience with a lot of cheap VPS providers.

Personally I don't like the idea of having my Android app connect directly to a database, which is the purpose of RDC if I understand it correctly). Instead I have a Windows VPS with a SQL Express on it and the .NET framework - see further.

The application I'm working on (a pushing framework) has the Android device connect to the .NET server application on a TCP socket. The server application uses the SQL Express in the backend.

I have (and have had) both Ubuntu VPS's as well as Windows VPS's...

If you need a Windows VPS, you should certainly look at servarica.com: they have a Windows 2008 R2 datacenter server (license included !) with 1 GB RAM for only 7 CAD (< 6 USD)/month. The free diskspace is around 14GB.

I then installed a SQL Server 2012 Express on it and I currently have around 6,5 GB of free diskspace...
They are running XEN which prevents hosts to oversell, which is a reassurance...

Feel free to have a chat with them. My experience with them uptil now has been great.

Wim

Last edited:
Upvote 0