Will there ever be a basic4iphone?

karmacomposer

Licensed User
Longtime User
I am VERY interested in Basic4Android. I will be buying this week. I would like to know two things:

(1) Will there be a Basic4iphone and if so, will you be able to port your existing projects to it and then compile?

Umm, did a search and it turns out it probably won't happen since Apple is, well, Apple - and do not allow 3rd party compilers. Crappy crappy business model.

(2) Can you develop for Android and then compile for ppc if so desired (obviously buying Basic4ppc)?

Thank you.

Mike

Last edited:

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
1) Actually third party compilers are allowed with some restrictions. However there are currently no plans for Basic4iphone. The fact that you can only install applications from the market makes it much less attractive (for me at least).
2) Some of the code is compatible and some is not. These are two completely different platforms (Android vs. Windows Mobile). It should be simple to reuse "logic" code. Other code (UI, device related) will require a rewrite.

karmacomposer

Licensed User
Longtime User
1) Actually third party compilers are allowed with some restrictions. However there are currently no plans for Basic4iphone. The fact that you can only install applications from the market makes it much less attractive (for me at least).
2) Some of the code is compatible and some is not. These are two completely different platforms (Android vs. Windows Mobile). It should be simple to reuse "logic" code. Other code (UI, device related) will require a rewrite.

Thank you.

Regarding #1, why is it so unattractive to install from the app market?

Regarding #2, is there a discount for people who purchased basic4android?

Mike

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
Regarding #1, why is it so unattractive to install from the app market?
It is completely fine to distribute and install applications from the market. However the fact that you can only install from the market makes it less suitable for small companies applications or other custom applications.

Regarding #2, is there a discount for people who purchased basic4android?
Please contact me by mail: [email protected] and you will receive a discount...

karmacomposer

Licensed User
Longtime User
It's only $99 to get a Apple Developer's license (per year). Other than that and requiring a Mac (I have a Mac Mini), what else makes it so annoying for small or indie developers?

I do not own a PPC - will that matter? Is there a PPC market any longer (have not paid attention).

What about Palm? Will Basic4Palm (or whatever it's called now) ever see light of day? I don't own a Palm either - just want to develop for multiple platforms if possible.

Mike

karmacomposer

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks. I was just curious.

TBH, I am in LOVE with your program. It truly feels like visual basic for android apps and android is DEFINITELY on the rise in a big way.

I just WISH there was a program equally as AWESOME to create iphone apps as easily as yours.

I do own Shiva 3D for 2D and 3D game creation on all of the above and way more, but to make utilities, apps, database programs and almost everything else except 3D games, your program will be my go to program of choice.

One question. Is there a visual basic programmer's guide for basic4android? Your tutorials and documentation are really very good and well made. Just curious if there is a "if you do this in visual basic 6, do this in basic4android" guide? I know a forum member has begun to put together something a bit similar, but I was curious if the creators of this program have something more complete available?

Mike

Last edited:

corwin42

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
It's only $99 to get a Apple Developer's license (per year). Other than that and requiring a Mac (I have a Mac Mini), what else makes it so annoying for small or indie developers?

One example is if you develop Apps that are only useful for your company inhouse use. Or if your app doesn't confirm to apples rules.

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
TBH, I am in LOVE with your program.
:sign0100:

One question. Is there a visual basic programmer's guide for basic4android? Your tutorials and documentation are really very good and well made. Just curious if there is a "if you do this in visual basic 6, do this in basic4android" guide? I know a forum member has begun to put together something a bit similar, but I was curious if the creators of this program have something more complete available?
There is no VB6 to Basic4android manual available for now. As you wrote this thread: http://www.b4x.com/forum/basic4andr...e-goto-line-label-equivalent-3.html#post42795 posted by nfordbscndrd can be helpful.

Did you try the help viewer tool? It usually finds what you are looking for.

Brad

Licensed User
Longtime User
Apple market isn't the only place you can buy apps. We will be using the following program for our app which will be focused on the enterprise level.

Youtube of app

kahonen

Licensed User
Longtime User
It's only $99 to get a Apple Developer's license (per year). Other than that and requiring a Mac (I have a Mac Mini), what else makes it so annoying for small or indie developers?Mike

Anything to do with Apple is bad in my book, especialy after my experiences with their SDK.

I paid for the SDK some thime ago and it wasn't until after I paid and they sent me the e-mail containing the download link that it mentioned anywhere that it only ran on an Apple. It does now but it didn't then.

I contacted them immediately (obviously didn't download it) to request a refund and it took me almost 4 months to get my money back, and even then only after sending a letter from a solicitor.

Their business practices are immoral and wrong in so many ways. The only reason they get away with as much as they do is because of the financial backing they have. Personally, I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole.