B4R Question Wrapping FastLED Addressable RGB library

Discussion in 'B4R Questions' started by walterf25, Nov 7, 2018.

1. walterf25

walterf25 Well-Known Member Licensed User

Hello all, has anyone worked with or dealt with addressable RGB LED strips, i just started playing with B4R and can't find any libraries, i know there is an example for regular RGB LEDs but was wondering if anyone has actually done anything with addressable RGBs, basically this just requires the +5Volts, GND and a Data pin, some others have 4 pints for +5Volts, GND, Data pin and Clock pin. the one i have has only 3 pins, power, Gnd and Data pin.

Anyone?

i found this tutorial here which provides the FastLED library but my C and C++ knowledge is very rusty.

https://randomnerdtutorials.com/guide-for-ws2812b-addressable-rgb-led-strip-with-arduino/

Regards,
    Walter

2. Erel

Erel Administrator Staff Member Licensed User

This is not a simple library to wrap. If there are specific features that you need then it might be simple enough to do it with inline C.

walterf25 likes this.
  3. walterf25

Hi @Erel the whole library doesn't need to be wrapped, maybe if you could just wrap the main function which sends commands to the LEDs, maybe a small example just to make the LEDs blink.

Thanks,
    Walter

4. Erel

Erel Administrator Staff Member Licensed User

It will be easier to implement with inline C. Have you tried any of the examples included with this library (with Arduino IDE)? Do they work?

Post the code that you like to be ported.

5. BillMeyer

BillMeyer Active Member Licensed User

Hi Guys,

WS2812's are normal RGB leds but with one major difference - each LED has an on board chip which will control each lead individually and once you remove the data line - will maintain the setting.

They work basically but clocking bits to the bus that sets the LED's to the desired output.

AdaFruit make the neoPixel and also have a library that you may want to look at, although fastLED is the deFacto go to library (according to the industry).

I have ordered a neoPixel and will give this a go - to try and find a solution - EISH !! - here go my week-ends again.

6. Cableguy

Cableguy Expert Licensed User

7. BillMeyer

BillMeyer Active Member Licensed User

8. walterf25

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice