B4R Question Wrapping FastLED Addressable RGB library

walterf25

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello all, has anyone worked with or dealt with addressable RGB LED strips, i just started playing with B4R and can't find any libraries, i know there is an example for regular RGB LEDs but was wondering if anyone has actually done anything with addressable RGBs, basically this just requires the +5Volts, GND and a Data pin, some others have 4 pints for +5Volts, GND, Data pin and Clock pin. the one i have has only 3 pins, power, Gnd and Data pin.

Anyone?

i found this tutorial here which provides the FastLED library but my C and C++ knowledge is very rusty.

https://randomnerdtutorials.com/guide-for-ws2812b-addressable-rgb-led-strip-with-arduino/

Regards,
Walter

walterf25

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
This is not a simple library to wrap. If there are specific features that you need then it might be simple enough to do it with inline C.
Hi @Erel the whole library doesn't need to be wrapped, maybe if you could just wrap the main function which sends commands to the LEDs, maybe a small example just to make the LEDs blink.

Thanks,
Walter

Upvote 0

BillMeyer

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Guys,

WS2812's are normal RGB leds but with one major difference - each LED has an on board chip which will control each lead individually and once you remove the data line - will maintain the setting.

They work basically but clocking bits to the bus that sets the LED's to the desired output.

AdaFruit make the neoPixel and also have a library that you may want to look at, although fastLED is the deFacto go to library (according to the industry).

I have ordered a neoPixel and will give this a go - to try and find a solution - EISH !! - here go my week-ends again.

Upvote 0

walterf25

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Upvote 0