B4J Question Writing a Windows Software Updator??

Mashiane

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi there

I've always wanted to code a software update and even a virus scanner. Anyway first things first. Most software updators work better than others, for example whilst one will find nothing new on first run, others will find a lot of minor / major versions to update.

One thing for sure. There is a standard format of the information reported. 1. Product / App, 2. Company, 3. Version and 4. Update (whether its ok and not.)

Behind the scenes, are links of where to get the latest version kept.

Questions.

1. Where is all of this information obtained e.g. company, version and url link to download?
2. I assume some kind of db is kept on a server somewhere that compares installed versions and those available, if not, does an exe in windows contain such information to check or perhaps the registry?
3. If this feat is possible using B4J how can I go about making the concept into existence.
4. etc etc

Ta!

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Upvote 0

OliverA

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I think he’s talking about a program that can inventory the software on your computer and then, if necessary, update any software that needs it. Sort of like Microsoft’s SCCM or, if one happens to remember Novell, the ZenWorks management suite

Upvote 0

techknight

Licensed User
Longtime User
I would assume this would require alot of WMI calls to see whats installed, the versions of each, etc...

Upvote 0

Daestrum

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
You could probably run a powershell script to get the information you want and pipe it back into the b4j app.

Upvote 0