Games [XUI2D] Hot device and high battery drain

JanG

Licensed User
Longtime User
I did various performance tests and now I found another issue:

When I play Space Invaders after a few minutes the device is getting hot, really hot. And the battery gets lower quickly. I'm not sure if this effect concerns e.g. Monster Truck, too. But with Space Invaders it tooks very few minutes to have an alarmingly hot device.

When I play other 2D games (e.g. slither) on the same device, it remains cold (or maybe slightly warm).

Device for testing: 7'' Tablet Asus Memo Pad ME173x 1280x800, Quad-Core 1.2 GHz. Not the fastest tablet, but all standard 2D-games (and some 3D games) run perfectly.

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
You are making the same posts again and again forcing me to make the same replies all the time.
Asus Memo Pad ME173x 1280x800, Quad-Core 1.2 GHz
This device is not considered a relevant platform for XUI2D. As I'm sure you know you can see its performance score here: https://www.androidbenchmark.net/phone.php?phone=Asus+ME173X
It is weaker than Samsung Galaxy S3.
When in doubt go to that page. If the score is less than ~2500 then it is too weak for XUI2D. Luckily almost all phones from the last 5 years are stronger (this is not the case with tablets as there are many low-cost and too weak tablets).

Same is true for your old Atom netbook and any other old low cost devices. The performance of XUI2D on your virtual machine is also not relevant.

It is possible that XUI2D doesn't meet your requirements. In such case don't use it. Don't make 10 posts about it. One is enough. This was my last reply to any of your XUI2D related posts.

JanG

Licensed User
Longtime User
Sorry, but I don't understand your upsetness. I only report investigations. And a hot device is an issue you shouldn't ignore! I don't want the apps run on lower devices, but a hot device is a hint that something is wrong. Not more, not less. But if I'm not allowed to report problems here, only "good news", then this forums doesn't help in this situation.

Every time you write "please start a new thread". If I do it, it is not okay again... Please note that I paid for your development environment.

Last edited:

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
also make sure you run it in release mode and comment the line X2.EnableDebugDraw. the difference can be huge.

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
You are making the same posts again and again forcing me to make the same replies all the time

Hi Erel, i think the reason for that is because u asked Jan to discuss his issue in a new thread and not continue in the xuid2d example project thread :p

Anyway, is there a minimum recommended device configuration for xui2d games? Android version?

Regards, ilan ;)

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
Anyway, is there a minimum recommended device configuration for xui2d games? Android version?
See the numbers in the performance thread:
[XUI2D] Performance

Generally speaking all non-antique phone devices are supported and properly built games should run smooth (you will see 30 FPS from time to time).

There is no special minimum version supported. It makes sense to limit it to Android 4.4+ or 5+.