Android Question Yet another problem with the Signature...

vecchiounno

Licensed User
I read everything, everywhere and asked for help in the Italian Forum, but I couldn't solve the first problem:
how to sign my app (apk, no aab) as an update of an app (apk) already present since 2015 on google play and with keystore from 2012?

The first version in 2015 was made with AppInventor2 and the current one (the update) was completely rewritten in B4A.

This is what was done in B4A:
1698139032533.png

And this is what B4A responds after compilation:
1698139053684.png

This is Google Play's response:
1698139817168.png

Thanks for your help... (I'm desperate) :( šŸ˜­

p.s.

I also activated this procedure as required by Google Play:
1698140968229.png

note that my old keystore is actually correct on Google Play

Last edited:

vecchiounno

Licensed User
As this key wasn't created with B4A, the key alias is not b4a. You need to find out the alias. Use this tool to find it: https://keystore-explorer.org/

And set it with #SignKeyAlias in the main module.

Thank you so much Erel!

It no longer gives me a compilation error on the key.
In the afternoon (in Italy) I will publish on Google Play, but I'm sure it won't give me any more errors.

See you later...

Upvote 0

vecchiounno

Licensed User
Thank you so much Erel!

It no longer gives me a compilation error on the key.
In the afternoon (in Italy) I will publish on Google Play, but I'm sure it won't give me any more errors.

See you later...
I confirm that Google Play has taken over my update.
Now I can finally start converting all my apps from AppInventor2 to B4A.
Thanks again great Erel!

Upvote 0

vecchiounno

Licensed User
This subject is driving me nuts. I have downloaded the keystore.org tool; I have made a personal information exchange from that download, but I can't see what to do on the google play console in relation to that keystore item which I'll show in an image herein. How do I make the keystore for uploading to Google Play update from the little thing (b4a with a key image on the icon) named the b4a in the image here? I have the Private Sign Key dialogue box open in the IDE but I can't understand what that dialogue box wants. Apparently that box is where I make the aab file? My intuition tells me that the aab file is the bundle.View attachment 147228

I hope I can help you.

I need to understand your problem first.
What I am writing to you concerns my case, that is, the update on Google Play of an old APP in apk format.

1) you must have the keystore file (mine is called frogscompany.keystore)
2) you must place this file in a folder on your PC
3) after loading your project into B4A, select Load existing key in the Private Sign Key dialog box
4) in the Password textbox enter your keystore password
5) in the File textbox click on the Browse button and point to the folder that contains your keystore file and double-click on it
6) click on Ok at the bottom

To check if your keystore has been accepted by B4A, return to the Private Sign Key dialog box again.
If the plain text content of your keystore appears in the Signature textbox, you are almost at the end:
Write down the Alias name that you will need later.

At this point - and this was what I was missing - in the Main module add this line:
#SignKeyAlias: frogscompany
where instead of frogscompany you will put the alias of your keystore.

Now compile and publish easily on Google Play...

p.s.
this procedure applies only to APPs in apk format (not for those in aab format).

Upvote 0

Shelby

Licensed User
To check if your keystore has been accepted by B4A, return to the Private Sign Key dialog box again.
If the plain text content of your keystore appears in the Signature textbox, you are almost at the end:
Yes, this is my hangup. In that Signature textbox is printed: Create or load a key and reopen this dialog to see the signatures. Of course this is after I have "Created new key" in the same box earlier.

Upvote 0

Shelby

Licensed User

vecchiounno,​

Thanks for trying to help me. I have started a new thread:

Upvote 0