Games Your Gaming Machines

wonder

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Here's the list of (gaming) hardware I had in my life, so far.

1980's:
- ZX Spectrum

1990's:
- i8086 / 640K RAM / Hercules Graphics Adapter / MS-DOS 3.22
- Nintendo Entertainment System (NES)
- i486 DX2 66Mhz / 8MB RAM / Trident SVGA / Windows 3.11 for Workgroups
- iPentium 233MMX / 32MB RAM / Matrox Mystique / 3DFX Voodoo2 / Win95 / Win98

2000's:
- Sony Playstation 2
- AMD Athlon 1.8Ghz / 2GB RAM / ATI Radeon 9600 / WinXP Pro
- Sony Playstation 3

2010's:
- Core i7 3770 / 8GB RAM / NVIDIA GTX 760 / Windows 7 (pre-upgrade)
- ASUS Memo Pad 7 Tablet / Android Jelly Bean (now serving www.ninjadynamics.com)
- Core i7 3770 / SSD / 16GB RAM / NVIDIA GTX 960 / Windows 10 (current machine)
- NVIDIA Shield Tablet K1 / Android Nougat (current machine)

:)

Last edited:

An Schi

Licensed User
I hope for you that you are able to remember the song and the date when you met your girl just as good as your hardware :p;)

An Schi

Licensed User
Started with the original Game Boy.
Then my father had a 486 PC with 44 MHz at turbo mode and Win 3.11 and a black&white monitor.
Next for me was a SNES.
Then my first own PC was a Pentium 1 with Win ME.
Then a Nintendo 64.
I left my parents house and bought a casual office laptop, single core, 1,4GHz and Win XP.
Now i'm on a self build PC with Quad Core 3,4GHz, 8GB Ram, nvidia gtx 960 4GB, SSD and Win 10 64bit.
Additional i have a newer office laptop with avarage specs.

(Some time ago i found the consoles at my parents home - and they are all still working!)

The name of my first girlfriend is Lena :cool:;)

RandomCoder

Licensed User
Longtime User
I recall accidentally deleting a file from the family PC and my mother spending almost two hours on the phone with tech support to fix what I had done. They recommended that we backup the system which at the time meant saving onto floppy discs. I seem to recall it taking 32 disks to backup :oops:

What I find funny with modern computer apps is that the save button is often still an icon of a floppy disc and yet a lot of the younger generation don't even know what this is! :D

RandomCoder

Licensed User
Longtime User
im one of them :)
It was 1.4MB of portable storage on a very fickle magnetic film. It would often work on one disk drive but not another. And believe it or not, you could actually get a full game on just one disc!
Which seems utterly amazing since the last few games I've downloaded on Steam lately have all been >30GB and I seem to recall GTA V being about 60GB!!

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
A few minutes ago I saw a beautiful baby with golden curls, on his stroller... with a smartphone in his hand and he laughed at creeps.
Maybe it was 1 years old.
His first game machine? Maybe!

I wanted to photograph him on my return but unfortunately I forgot to do it.

andymc

Licensed User
Longtime User
I've owned at one time or another:

Amstrad CPC 464
Amstrad CPC 6128
Amiga 500+
Amiga 1200
Many PC's
NES
SNES
N64
Gamecube
Gameboy
Gameboy advance
Gameboy advance SP
3DO
xbox
xbox 360
Nintendo Wii
Sega Saturn
Playstation 2
Spectrum+
Sega Dreamcast
Ipod touch

eps

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I had....

ZX Spectrum 48k (loved that machine and still have it somewhere!!)

Atari 520ST (good for games, but terrible to program)

PC Clone - 8088-10MHz 512kB - upgraded to 640kB and a Maths Co Pro to run AutoCAD...!

Then stuck with various PCs.. Maybe a 386DX-40, 486SX-25 then who knows!! All were AMD variants - or maybe Cyrix... K5?

Nintendo N64 was the first console I ever owned - bought it myself. - boxed up 'somewhere'

Sega Dreamcast - sold I think - or maybe boxed up somewhere...

Xbox (the original) - sold on

Gameboy Colour or something like that - it was a bit short-lived - I used to use it when I worked abroad and wanted something to while away some of the journeys.

Atari Jaguar - still boxed 'somewhere' - bought second hand

I have looked longingly at Neo Geos etc.. but avoided those...

We've got a Wii, Xbox 360 and Xbox One in the house now.

I really liked the Dreamcast - some of the arcade titles were amazing on there!! The visual memory cards were almost ahead of their time.. Saying that Mario Kart was amazing fun and Golden Eye on the N64. Multiplayer.

Last edited:

OliverA

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
1) ColecoVision with the Adam expansion. I found out early that I stink at gaming and at my first stab at programming.
2) Amiga 500. Still lousy at gaming/programming.
3) AMD 386 clone with (wait for it) EVGA monitor (gray scale!!!!). I'm actually decent in C (Turbo C) and ASM. Some TSR programs and early ISAM databases. Tried Pascal, but just could not get the hang of it.
4) 486DX, VGA monitor. Can we say DOOOOOM. What a time sink (still suck at gaming though). Heroes of Might and Magic became my biggest time sink (what it's already 5 AM? Well might as well keep going till I have to get ready for work). And under NetWare -> NETWARS!!! Another great time sink. Tried my hand at game programming, but as usual, stunk at it (blew up a monitor by setting up some wrong refresh rates of a Hercules graphics card). Clipper Summer '87 for DB programming and got my first exposure to early VB (shudder).

Since then, pretty dormant on the gaming side/programming side. I migrated from programming to networking. Did some programming stints with PHP and Perl, tried (and failed) with LISP and now I'm starting to ramp up with B4X.