Android Question Zip JSON? (and other)

KMatle

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I would like to zip JSON strings (on my server) because it will reduce it's size to about 20%.

I've only seen a lib to do this, but only files which I don't like to use.

Are there any other solutions to zip/unzip strings/objects like JSON?

Informatix

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
You have to convert your JSON to an array of bytes and compress this array. Example :
B4X:
Dim JsonGen As JSONGenerator
JsonGen.Initialize(YourMap)
Dim ByteConvert As ByteConverter
Dim YourData() As Byte = ByteConvert.StringToBytes(JsonGen.ToString, "UTF-8")
Dim Compressor As CompressedStreams
Return Compressor.CompressBytes(YourData, "zlib")

Upvote 0

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
if I read it right he wants it done on the server before downloading so he should use the php gzencode function.

Upvote 0

KMatle

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
C'mon guys (including @Erel ). Of course IT IS B4A related.

I just forgot the word "B4A".

And even if not, it MUST be ok as long as it is related to a function I use via B4a or any other tool I have spend money for! I spend a lot of time to help others here, too without making comments like that.

There's no need to be sarcastic here. For the first time im a bit speechless. The most disturbing thing to me is your "like", Erel.

Upvote 0

Informatix

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
??? There's nothing sarcastic here. If your question is related to B4A, then you have an answer in post #2. If your question is related to PHP, then it's not the right place in the forum. As I know that you know there's a "Chit chat" section for off-topic discussions, my first reaction was to think that your question was not related to PHP, but to B4A. Am I wrong ?

Upvote 0

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
@KMatle : is it on the device or on the php side that you want to compress the json?
My previous post has a hint to what you need if it is server-side so I don't get why you are upset.

B4X:
$gzdata = gzencode($json, 9);
$fp = fopen("library/data.gz", "w");
fwrite($fp, $gzdata);
fclose($fp);

Upvote 0
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…