Licensed User
Longtime User
erel any chance to make a converter lib? b4a to b4i *-*

JohnC

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Erel,

I am assuming there is something like Objective C type "libraries" out there that iOS developers reuse and share, just like Android has JAR files.

Will there be some functionality in B4i similar to the below method that would allow us to use these iOS libraries with B4i?

http://www.b4x.com/android/forum/th...h-additionaljar-and-javaobject-picasso.40904/

Meaning, when B4i comes out, there won't be a lot of B4i libraries available for us to use right away. But if we had some sort of way to use existing objective-C type libraries (or whatever they are called) in B4i, it would allow us to get up to speed in short order.

Douglas Farias

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
@Erel later the b4i is done u dont go have problens with apple?
for example i think apple make a mac pc to make the apple apps

if u make this for windows u dont go have problem with apple?
the apple go lost money with u xD

dont have any change to apple block your software later this is done?
u have contacted the apple?

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
Your final app will be compiled on a Mac in the same way that all iOS apps are compiled. In the "release mode" B4i generates Objective C and then compiles it with the standard xcode tools (on the remote Mac).

In the past Apple didn't allow the usage of third party development tools. However they changed their terms about 3 years ago and such tools are now allowed.

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Your final app will be compiled on a Mac in the same way that all iOS apps are compiled. In the "release mode" B4i generates Objective C and then compiles it with the standard xcode tools (on the remote Mac).

In the past Apple didn't allow the usage of third party development tools. However they changed their terms about 3 years ago and such tools are now allowed.

post #1 :" A Mac computer is not required for development with B4i"

What means: "...then compiles it with the standard xcode tools (on the remote Mac)" ?

(sorry, I have not read all 11 pages of this thread.)

Douglas Farias

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
i think this server need a good protection *-* ddos etc xD

Inman

Licensed User
Longtime User
This is a philosophical questions.

We will host the remote Mac compilers. Where exactly will they be hosted is less important.

Will it be possible for us to host our own Mac compiler, if we have a Mac mini connected to the LAN?

JohnC

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Will it be possible for us to host our own Mac compiler, if we have a Mac mini connected to the LAN?

I would like this ability too in case the web service ever goes down.

CidTek

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have a privacy question. What happens to our source on the hosted compiler after it has compiled? Is it completely deleted after compiling and downloaded? Will this be addressed in a more complete policy statement as I think a short answer is more appropriate here.

JohnC

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Another question about the remote compiling...

When I am debugging most issues, I tend to do a bunch of "Release" compiles, test the app, edit, redo "release" compile, instead of doing a rapid or legacy debug compile. Here's why...

I do a "release" compile for most debugging (except for the really hard bugs) because it is usually just faster to do in most situations. But most importantly, if I use the "rapid/legacy" debug mode, I often forget to switch it back to release mode and do one additional compile so I will have the latest version of the app running on my device that I can use when on the road. If I forget to do this last "release" compile (after using rapid/legacy), my app will then lock up with "Waiting for debugger..." whenever I try to run the app while on the road. For this main reason, most of my compiles are done as "Release".

Having said that, what will the performance/speed of this remote compiling be when in "Release" mode? Will it be similar to the speed of doing a local "Release" compile in B4A now?

JohnC

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Most Objective C libraries are distributed as source code projects. This means that the process is a bit more complicated as you need to first compile the code.

Hey Erel,

If most iOS code is shared as source code, then what about adding the ability to allow us to just paste Objective C (OC) code "inline" into our B4i source code - something like:

<xcode>
...pasted Objective C routine source code...
</xcode>

And then have some way for us to pass variables/objects to/from these OC routines.

This way your Basic-to-OC converter wont have to convert this inline OC code, and would only have to modify the references to variables/objects used in the OC code.

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
I have a privacy question. What happens to our source on the hosted compiler after it has compiled? Is it completely deleted after compiling and downloaded? Will this be addressed in a more complete policy statement as I think a short answer is more appropriate here.
The source code is deleted immediately after compilation.

Having said that, what will the performance/speed of this remote compiling be when in "Release" mode? Will it be similar to the speed of doing a local "Release" compile in B4A now?

See the video here: http://www.b4x.com/android/forum/threads/b4i-ios-updates-thread.42166/page-7#post-267229

Installing a "non-rapid" app requires you to open Safari (browser), follow the link and approve the installation.