I want to see success stories of B4a devs!

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
"$6k it is more or less how a programmer can earn a salary in a month, a month and a half"

must be before our beloved taxing comes into action. you can be happy with €1500 net overhere.

And I've been reading King articles for about 2 hours, I think it's time to leave them aside.

Those are real scammers. Cloning a game that was offered to them for licensing but they didn't make it to a deal.
Also the Candy & Sage word in gaming titles is a limitation in creativity & freedom.

Here a nice protest page > http://itch.io/jam/candyjam

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
i dont think so, the graphics are the importent stuff because there are the first inspiration of the app, ofcourse the coding is importent but if teh apps look bad you can forgett it!

Informatix

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
no thats not true

there are lots of really great developer with lots of knowledge
they can make a app in 1 week you will do in 2 month

BUT not all of them are creative and have a touch for design so even there code is PERFECT but apps looks like my ASS so there will not be any profit of it.
I completely agree, but it's just a part of the explanation. You can be a great team of developers, with a good artist and designer, you can have an original idea for an app, make a very impressive app, and despite that you may encounter no success at all on the Android market or do not make enough profit to continue. Companies experience that every day (I read regularly in the french press such failures). Reasons are not always fair or logical. Maybe it's not the right time for it, maybe a few bad comments because of a stupid bug drove people away, maybe noone heard about it despite your efforts to make it known, etc. It seems, for example, that illegal copies are a strong problem for paid apps, that's why in-app purchases and ads are so popular nowadays. You may have also crappy apps that are really profitable to their author. Frankly, does Flappy Birds deserve any success? The Android market looks to me like a lottery, and I don't count on it as a money maker. IMHO, there would be nothing strange if Erel thought the same. Maybe myself I'm a better library maker than an application maker and my UltimateListView lib is, in comparison to My Playground (my only app on the PlayStore for now), a tremendous success. We cannot be good at everything, so when we are good at something and we know the rules of it, maybe it's the place where we have to be.

Last edited:

eps

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
that means all we need are only installs thats it !! and today everybody got a smartphone and lots of new smartphones, tablets are coming to the market that means more and more potential users...

just keep developing and make your apps creative and uniq...

Yes, but in order to get the extra installs the App needs to be good and have a wide market appeal.

thedesolatesoul

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Erel could develop an app in one-twentieth of the time spent by each of us.

But he would do this better!
He cannot.
If he could, he would have, but he cannot even if it is due to a conscious choice he makes.
The only way to prove that he can, is by actually doing it.

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
The graphics are the least important part of the applications (at least the less difficult)!

The Design of the project is another thing, vastly more complex.

Design.

Try to develop an app like the one I WANTED to develop:
a multiplayer online app in turn.

Try to consider the server aspect. Try to divide the work between the normal code modules, class modules, service modules and websocket handler classes.

Try to assess, in case your app had success, how to deploy servers (plural) and how they should communicate with each other.

Choosing the best structure for the data sometimes is already not an easy task.

Draw a captivating View is a game for children, in comparison.

thedesolatesoul

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Design.

Try to consider the server aspect. Try to divide the work between the normal code modules, class modules, service modules and websocket handler classes.

Try to assess, in case your app had success, how to deploy servers (plural) and how they should communicate with each other.

I hope you were joking.

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I completely agree, but it's just a part of the explanation. You can be a great team of developers, with a good artist and designer, you can have an original idea for an app, make a very impressive app, and despite that you may encounter no success at all on the Android market or do not make enough profit to continue. Companies experience that every day (I read regularly in the french press such failures). Reasons are not always fair or logical. Maybe it's not the right time for it, maybe a few bad comments because of a stupid bug drove people away, maybe noone heard about it despite your efforts to make it known, etc. It seems, for example, that illegal copies are a strong problem for paid apps, that's why in-app purchases and ads are so popular nowadays. You may have also crappy apps that are really profitable to their author. Frankly, does Flappy Birds deserve any success? The Android market looks to me like a lottery, and I don't count on it as a money maker. IMHO, there would be nothing strange if Erel thought the same. Maybe myself I'm a better library maker than an application maker and my UltimateListView lib is, in comparison to My Playground (my only app on the PlayStore for now), a tremendous success. We cannot be good at everything, so when we are good at something and we know the rules of it, maybe it's the place where we have to be.

this is exactly what i wanted to say, only my english is not very well.
not everyone is ment to do apps, you should do what you like and do it in the best way money will come one day
dont try to run after money and success.

and i think flappy bird is a very nice app. its simple to do but the idea and graphics are not bad at all.
you need only a creative idea

if you would make an app with a capacult and stones that hit house and destroy them maybe you will get 500k downloads but change the stone to a bird and the houses to pigs you got angry bird and 100 milion of downloads
because the bird just looks better and are something different

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Design.

what is the problem?? i can do it in 5 minutes

i will tell you also how

go to the bank, ask for a loan, 50k go to pc or mac open browser type www.b4a.com
search for informatix and pay him to do it :D

why not start with tic tac toe? much simpler

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
this is exactly what i wanted to say, only my english is not very well.
not everyone is ment to do apps, you should do what you like and do it in the best way money will come one day
dont try to run after money and success.

and i think flappy bird is a very nice app. its simple to do but the idea and graphics are not bad at all.
you need only a creative idea

if you would make an app with a capacult and stones that hit house and destroy them maybe you will get 500k downloads but change the stone to a bird and the houses to pigs you got angry bird and 100 milion of downloads
because the bird just looks better and are something different

I'm not saying that the graphics do not matter:

I say it is much easier to make a beautiful "design" rather than making a good analysis and implementation of a project.

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I say it is much easier to make a beautiful "design" rather than making a good analysis and implementation of a project.

i dont think so because, coding can be learned but graphic "design" is a talent or you got it or not !

there are so many ugly apps in the market also if they are very good coded they are ugly my samsung screams on me when i only watch the game in google play

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
5 minutes of work? Ok, i MUST pay you $10, for 5 min. Deal

i was jokking, it takes 5 min to ask a pro to do it for you, 5 min and some $ that what i wanted to say
if you cannot do it by yourselfe pay for it

thedesolatesoul

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
informatix' UltimateListView:

Do you think that he has struggled to create any gradient or the logic of the project?
Is that what you call design? gradient? graphics?

do you even think about user experience, transitions, continuity, easy of entering data?
do you even think b4a has the best tools to design a good app?
do you think selecting colors is that easy? do you care about contrast continuity?
do you care about typography? spacing? margins? emphasis?
...i can go on...

The ULV is a great tool, but it still doesnt design things for you. However the Animator is a brilliant addition to it, I dont know how Informatix thought of it.