Big game projects or smaller ones?

andymc

Licensed User
Longtime User
What do people favor? Should I carry on with my big game ideas, which may mean one or two games a year. Or focus on making more classic remakes (like my space invaders remake) and then release six or seven games in a year? Which one will be more likely to get more downloads and ad revenue?

Looking at some of the more successful indie developers on the play store, they do a lot of smaller simple games before they make big hits. five nights at Freddys is a good example.

wonder

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
It's just like pop-music.

Compose a great symphony and no one will care.
Produce a cheese generic four-chords song and you got yourself a mega-hit.
So in my opinion, it all boils down to pride vs. money.

Back to your question, Android (or iOS) isn't the platform where great games are appreciated.
It's all about Candy Crush, Angry Birds, Flappy Bird and Pokemon GO.
The only successful mega-projects are those addictive isometric strategy games, but then again, it's certainly not a one man's job.

Long story short, if you get involved in a big project (+1 year), try not to make it a mobile exclusive. Try to make it work on the PC (w/ either B4J, Java or C++) and publish it on Steam. Once you have it on PC, you may even consider porting it to consoles.

PC / Console gamers have more appreciation for a well made game than mobile users.

Last edited:

andymc

Licensed User
Longtime User
I think my best option then given the lack of time I have is to focus on completing a number of simple arcade ports.
I have a basic game framework with a main menu and high score table. So It's no problem to make a new game using this setup. I could take my space invaders game and turn it into missile command or frogger pretty easily with little effort. Just use simple graphics and simple sound effects and I could put a game together in a few weeks.
Just need to find the time with having a full time job, 2 year old son, wife and training for a marathon in six weeks.
Maybe just get up an hour earlier each day, this could get me 30 hours a month more, which would be enough.

andymc

Licensed User
Longtime User
How's you Cannon Fodder going?
Um, not as well as hoped, work's totally taken over so I've not touched it in a month.
That's why I'm thinking of just doing a few smaller projects so I can achieve something quickly and get some games out there.
My cannon Fodder game still needs many features before I can release anything, like proper level loading, enemy AI, grenades, rockets, explosions, sound effects, music, mission briefing screens, soldier names, scoring, on screen UI, weather, terrains, the list goes on. So you can see why I'm looking at simple projects.

the task list for converting my exisitng game framework to somrthing like missile command would be.

Make simple graphics
Make simple sound effects
change main menu
change game loop for missile command game (simpel loop compared to Cannon fodder, just update missiles, warheads and explsions)
Alter font to sci-fi font
done!

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I'd go for several small ones aswell.

When you're completely stuck code or gfx wise you lost days, not months like on big projects.

one might get bored of his own project if it takes too long aswell.

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
What do people favor? Should I carry on with my big game ideas, which may mean one or two games a year. Or focus on making more classic remakes (like my space invaders remake) and then release six or seven games in a year? Which one will be more likely to get more downloads and ad revenue?

Looking at some of the more successful indie developers on the play store, they do a lot of smaller simple games before they make big hits. five nights at Freddys is a good example.

making big money today from apps is not that simple and every day new games come out so it is not a simple question but i would say if you have a very unique game idea and really believe this one could be the next viral game you may go for it.

there is a bigger chance that that game will make you more revenue then 7-8 small games.

take for example your invaders game (what i think is a very well done game) have u did a lot revenue from it?

take the amount from the last year x8 and see what 8 small game would have done (of course this is not the real amount, you could have made more from them or less). so i think you should go for the unique big game. you can always make small games after you finish the big one.

good luck :)

wonder

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
you should go for the unique big game
It's really hard to hit jackpot, especially on Android. If you take that route, make the code portable enough.
Steam (PC) is a platform worth exploring. iOS as well. :)

melonZgz

Licensed User
Longtime User
I'd say that if you do games just for fun, go for what your heart demands. If you want to make a very big game, just go for it!
The problem I see is if you want to have some success in the store and/or win money from them. There are a lot of new games everyday and if you focus in only one big game I see only 2 posibilities: it becomes a hit (you win a lot of money), or the other one, you have almost no downloads. Yeah, it may be a very good game, but you never know how people will react in a so saturated market.
My point of view, and what I'm trying to achieve: make good games (this is a must, the game has to be good, I mean, addictive, good graphics and no bugs), but I'd put a limit of 3 months per game. If a game is doing well in the store, then update it with more levels, more stuff, maybe IAPs... if a game doesn't have success, just forget it, you may think it's a good game, but if people don't like it... you don't have more options.
And there is another thing. Working alone can make you abandon your own projects if they take too much time...

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User