What Was the Worst Habit Programming Wise You Got Rid of Since You Joined the Forum

Mahares

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I have several bad habits, but I will cite one to give other a chance at voicing theirs. Mine is : In debugging an app, I was always using MsgBox("Erel is a genius","") instead of Log("Erel is a genius")

Mahares

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Although the answers in this thread are humorous and light-hearted as they should be, the main focus was to get a cross section of bad programming habits members had when joining the forum and what was changed to get rid of them.

Dabzy1978

Licensed User
I'm the worlds worst at backing up stuff!

Over the years I've had tons of little prototype programs sitting there, and just, well, lost them, then only to think to myself one day if I need something "Oh, I have some code that'll do that", look, and its nowhere to be seen.

I'm like that in real life too, I'll have some bits of timber in the shed, they'll be there for weeks, and I'll be like "They are taking up room", so will chuck them out... Only to need them a week later, and have to trundle down to B&Q and pay for new stuff.

I recommend to everyone, dont be me, back all them little routines or test beds up on the odd chance you'll need them, cos its more then likely, you will!

And I say that you know, but I'll never learn myself, I'm my own worst enemy, I do promise myself I'll look into some sort of version control, where I can upload stuff to my VPS, which I've had for donkeys, and is the best place really as its for next to nowt, I just I never get around to it.

Dabz

leitor79

Licensed User
Longtime User
I still forget that there is a debug feature to find bugs. I think I have spent a long while with a 'release' app trying to find an issue whilst with debug then the error is picked easily. I still need to cut my subs into smaller chucks.

Maybe writing long subs is the bad habit? :confused:

Dabzy1978

Licensed User
Sometimes in some languages, you end up with a lib/extension that doesn't play nice with the integrated debugger in the IDE, which is an absolute pain! I've done the odd Linux app and something works in Release mode, yet, plonk it into Debug (Or vice versa) and bosh "Segmentation Fault", and thats ya lot... And your sitting there thinking "Whyyyyyyyyyyyy? For the love of collie dogs.... Whyyyyyyyyyy?"

Another bad habit I have is if I've wrote a bit of code, that doesnt work as expected, and I start fiddling with it (Or generally just expanding an existing routine), I implement daft little variable/member names, e.g. x, thing, whatsit

And before I know it, I've finished a routine with all these stupid identifiers, think champion and move on and forget to change them to something more specific... Roll a few weeks later and I need to edit the code and I'm like "Eh? Whats that do again? *scratches head while reading the whole lot*" :D

Dabz

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I have several bad habits, but I will cite one to give other a chance at voicing theirs. Mine is : In debugging an app, I was always using MsgBox("Erel is a genius","") instead of Log("Erel is a genius")

I use StartActivity(BugPoint)
That activity contains a panel with EditTextBox, on it the string "Bug Point"
and a button to close it. It works.