🐒 B4XTurtle - Library for teachers and parents

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
It looks like my 3D library

no, this code is from my Flash days and was ported to B4A in 2012 already (and screenshot should exist on this forum from back then)

I'll post a project file after supper

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
here you go...

to stick to the turtle theme the dolphin has morphed into a turtle ;)

turtle3D.gif

Attachments

• turtle3D.zip
    8.7 KB · Views: 362

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks for the hint.

I use that method a lot in my B4J tools but that's always reading/writing from/in a subfolder of the objects folder not assets.
And in the B4A/B4i games it's a single read without using the seek/offset which seems to work fine aswell.

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
forgot to mention it...

if you reduce the depth value a bit and it draws outside the visible canvas everything seems to stop.
not sure if it crashes or something while being catched.

Alexander Stolte

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
BTW, what do you think about presentations as a documentation tool? It is easier for me to create, compared to video tutorials.
I find better, so I can quickly jump to a page without searching in the video for this one place.
If you had that in the forum and the members could create something like that, then you could create very simple usage examples for libraries. Or you can show what the library can do or what functions the view has.

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
BTW, what do you think about presentations as a documentation tool? It is easier for me to create, compared to video tutorials.
Although not always, often if something is easier to do it is less "powerful".

I prefer video tutorials; the most effective (most attractive) way is to show the final result immediately and only after how to achieve it.

rabbitBUSH

Licensed User
think about presentations as a documentation tool?
Nothing against it, but, there has to be a balance of detail in the presentation. Most presentations end up as "helicopter" views used as a background to a lecture or speech. So, from those sessions one takes the presentation away, but, then, a month later its very difficult to understand because most often we don't take notes of the lecture or speech. So, the presentation becomes a bit meaningless. In other words its not a good way to "jog" the memory.

So, presentations like this have to be lot more based on the concept of HOWTO. Which I am sure @Erel you understand.

Is it possible, to give some small backing to @LucaMs, to embed or attach short video clips that don't have to have any voice commentary but give an active illustrative element to the "lesson". I don't know or recall that I have ever seen that sort of thing done, but, a bit of experimentation might be interesting. Since the one in #67 is HTML then I guess that HTML5 has a lot scope for doing this sort of thing - without it looking just, well, like a book would.

So that would mean that : if you take the first TURTLE posts the clip of the turtle drawing the fractal trees, for instance, could become an embedded part of the presentation and one would read, what you might have used for the voice-over and be able to see the effect what, in old-world terms, would be an inactive flat image. That is a dimple example and I am sure that more dynamic ways to do things will occur and be used along the way.

If that makes sense it would be a kind of shoot in the middle, but still dynamic, way to demonstrate.

Of course, my experience with children these days is that a video tells 42 pictures worth - they learn Shakespeare by watching Terminator movies.

But, learn by electronic platforms, is their mode. Unfortunately, reading is not. That's the consideration.
πŸ‘©β€πŸŽ“πŸ‘¨β€πŸŽ“
[ps i haven't actually "read " that presentation yet, if if the above is in there, take this as support thereof.]

[EDIT] just had a look - > so actually conceptually all of that is in the ideation of the mode. But, for instance, on slide 15, the fractal tree on the right could the animation that was in the earlier post, that's what gives the attraction to : "Hey! maybe I can do that!". . . . .

There is one danger with the presentation concept. I, and others, have noticed that in the forum examples or responses to questions, answers can be "quick" punches showing the principles of what one is stuck on. We then we go off after reading these helpful posts, but sometimes you have to do a bit of hacking or adapting and so on. So its recognised then that you have some level of experience or expertise at your finger-tips and you're good to go.

That can't happen in presentations like this, there should be more of a drift to uplift skills not enhance them - I hope that distinction comes across - because it seems a bit flat in its decriptive.

So, one has to be sure to shift mode and modality.

be careful about what you wish for - it might turn out that videos are actually easier . . . . .

etc.

Last edited:

Jaames

Licensed User
Longtime User
here you go...

to stick to the turtle theme the dolphin has morphed into a turtle ;)

View attachment 94761
the turtle is turning right, but if i look around my room and focus again on the turtle she moves left! :D Is it only me? Watch it few minutes and You'll notice it. Btw, great example :)

idrotelapp

Licensed User
Hi ,
Many thanks for the great lib , But I cannot find the download link for the Library
will you please help me?

Johan Schoeman

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
B4X:
    Turtle.SetX(Turtle.Width/2)
    Turtle.SetY(Turtle.Height/2)
    Turtle.TurtleMode
    Dim colors() As Int= Array As Int(xui.Color_Red, xui.Color_Cyan, xui.Color_Blue, xui.Color_Green, xui.Color_Magenta, xui.Color_Yellow)

For x = 0 To 360
        Turtle.SetPenColor(colors(x Mod 6))
        Turtle.SetPenSize(x/100 + 1)
        Turtle.moveforward(x)
        Turtle.turnleft(59)
    Next

1610877159620.png

Johan Schoeman

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
B4X: