B4J Question A few words about ABMaterial.

Eme Fibonacci

Licensed User
Longtime User
That's not a question it's just my opinion. I have not found a better place to put this post and maybe it will be moved.

Why ABMaterial is still unknown and difficult to learn?

Yes I know. Yes I know. It has a lot of information and a tutorial for Dummies.

But a good tutorial should be:

1) Initial concepts (some lines)

2) Installation (some lines)

3) A hello world (an empty template and comments).

3) Wow ... now a button.

4) ...

5) ..

10) Something more complex.

But this is not the reality of ABMaterial.

Yes I know. I can learn. But it's disconcerting how uninviting it is.
ABMaterial, for me for now, seems like a good idea executed incorrectly.

Please, again, this is just my opinion.

Widget

Licensed User
Longtime User
That's not a question it's just my opinion. I have not found a better place to put this post and maybe it will be moved.

Why ABMaterial is still unknown and difficult to learn?

Suggestion:
Would it be better if Erel created a forum dedicated to ABMaterial so all of the info is found in one spot and it could also attract more users?
Because as it stands, I don't think more than 2% of B4X users are aware of ABMaterial unless they stumble upon it by accident.

Upvote 0

Eme Fibonacci

Licensed User
Longtime User
Suggestion:
Would it be better if Erel created a forum dedicated to ABMaterial so all of the info is found in one spot and it could also attract more users?
Because as it stands, I don't think more than 2% of B4X users are aware of ABMaterial unless they stumble upon it by accident.

I agree. A sub topic of B4J.

Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
Upvote 0

alwaysbusy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
From my experience they only cause more confusion and require more moderation.
I agree. We had this suggestion before and I also think it is better it does not has a separate sub-forum. After all, ABM is just another UI for WebApps, and a lot of the the 'ABM' questions can also benefit users that do not use ABM, but use only B4J jServer for their web apps.

I don't think more than 2% of B4X users
I am sometimes, looking at the feedback and questions asked, under the impression it is a lot more... ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tadeu Botelho

Licensed User
Longtime User
I also donated and only recently I started to "play" with it.

I confess, I also find it confusing. ABM is huge and within its samples, there is probably a wealth of information to help you but it can indeed be overwhelming.

Personally, I think it's easier to start with the smaller apps included in the download or simply using Erel's webapp samples for B4J here in the forum in order to get familiar with the concept and then gradually move over to ABM. This is what I am doing currently.

I also wish and think ABM would benefit from smaller tutorials (let us call them projects) to program smaller sites showing different arguments such as connecting to a DB backend, showing data in a grid and other common tasks and then I think the demo-app will make more sense for us beginners.

I'm following the same path.
Starting with parts.
I see a lot of potential in ABMaterial. This is something that allows you to use the B4X platform in a much more practical way.
I hope the author continues working on the Project.

Upvote 0