Android Code Snippet A note on RSAKeyConverter

In my app, I'm using Kmatle's very handy RSA Key Converter to help handle some public key stuff: https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/threads/rsa-convert-openssl-public-key-to-from-b4x.64905/

Essentially, while talking to the server via its API, the app has a unique session key; I want to use that to allow the app to launch website pages without requiring the user to log in. Passing the session key as a URL parameter would be a security risk, so instead, the app creates a token by encrypting the session key and other data with the server's public key.

This worked just fine on my test device (Android 8), launching users to a page on the site with a properly logged in session, but on and Android 6 device, there was a crash when loading the Public Key, which is built into the app:

Public key definition (truncated):
    Private serverPublicKey As String = $"-----BEGIN PUBLIC KEY-----
MIIBIjANBgkqhkiG9w0BAQEFAAOCAQ8AMIIBCgKCAQEA0bBCb3yBZC4UP8gA08mM
MQIDAQAB
-----END PUBLIC KEY-----"$

It appears the OpenSSL2B4x function was not behaving consistently. I hope this is down to Android level, and not some other function of the firmware on the two devices (they're both from the same manufacturer, which gives me a little hope. So, for the moment, I'm checking based on that, but it would be easy to try based on the exception generated.

Essentially, on the Android 8 device, I can pass OpenSSL2B4x the public key string as-is, but on Android 6, I have to base64 encode it (and on 8, if I do encode it, I get an error). So the code ends up looking like this:

Using the public key string:
    Dim apikey As KeyPairGenerator
    Dim pkbytes(0), keybytes(0), ct(0) As Byte
    Dim su As StringUtils
    Dim bc As ByteConverter
    Dim r As RSAKeyConverter
'   
    c.Initialize("RSA/ECB/PKCS1Padding")
    apikey.Initialize("RSA",2048)

If Main.AndroidVersion >=26 Then
        pkbytes = r.OpenSSL2B4x(serverPublicKey)
    Else
        pkbytes = r.OpenSSL2B4x(su.EncodeBase64(bc.StringToBytes(serverPublicKey,"UTF8")))       
    End If

apikey.PublicKeyFromBytes(pkbytes)

nwhitfield

Licensed User
Longtime User
A Like reminds me that I had to update this code; testing on Android 10 and 11, the code behaved the same as it did on my Android 6 device. So for the sake of better reliability, I've swapped the if ... then .. else for a Try ... Catch