Android Question Action Bar help

Tontin

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi All

developing an app that is close to completion, just the cosmetic side to touch up. Going to release through google so I was reading their guide and it seems that I must have an action bar, this is where I fall down. I see loads of libraries etc but using them still never shows an action bar.

I have the v4 support library and all the relevant libraries depending which actionbar I have tried to use. My manifest is set to the right targets.

when I use the standard bar with activity.addmenuitem3 it adds the icon to my current menu which on my htc m8 is accessed by longpress on the home button and no action bar is seen.

all I want is an action bar with the 3 dots for a menu an app icon and title and the back(<) nav at the top left I thought it would be easy, which means it probably is and I have missed something blindingly obvious.

Tontin

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have this which I thought was correct
B4X:
<uses-sdk android:minSdkVersion="11" android:targetSdkVersion="15"/>

but it still does not show. is there something somewhere I should tell it to show the bar etc, I tried your library but that didn't work either. all help gratefully appreciated.

Upvote 0

MikeH

Licensed User
Longtime User
I was reading their guide and it seems that I must have an action bar

Where does it say this? There are many apps in the Play store without any kind of action / menu bar.

Upvote 0

Tontin

Licensed User
Longtime User
the page I read it on is here , it is only a guide(best practices) but having never released on the android platform I didn't want to fall fowl. and it does seem to be the way now. I thought I could just turn it on and populate but it seems not to be that easy. ho hum

Upvote 0

Tontin

Licensed User
Longtime User
thanks everyone for your help, I got it sorted and I was right all along I am stupid, I completely ignored the holo theme part of the manifest once I set that hey presto we have life in the action bar.

Upvote 0