Android Question adding a public Score board to an app

cyiwin

Licensed User
Longtime User
I want to make a scoreboard that logs the players name and score at the end of each game. I assume SQL is the best way to do this?

I found this very nice thread that describes how the android device can send data to a PHP server which sends the data to my SQL server(same server WebHostingHub). Is this still the best way? I ask because I read I've also read Erel's SQL tutorial and it says to use a Remote Database Connector as the go between for android devices to connect to SQL.

Questions:
Is SQL the best way for public users to write/read databases? If so I assume I just create a generic username and password for everyone to use?

With RDC it looks like my home PC becomes the 'go between' so the android devices can use my web servers SQL, does this mean I would have to leave my PC on all the time?

Reviewnow

Licensed User
Longtime User
You can use rdc with MySQL , but using your home computer is not going to do the job.
Most likely your home pc does not have a dedicated ip address, therefore each time you start your computer a different ip address is acquired
if the end result is to create a popular application you will need to get your own domain/ipaddress and hosting services..

Upvote 0

cyiwin

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks for the reply. It sounds like RDC isn't going to work for me. I do have a static IP address but I don't want to leave a computer on 24/7. A public database system is just something I want to play with, a popular app for me would be > 100 downloads :).

Upvote 0

cyiwin

Licensed User
Longtime User
LucaMs, Jaames.

Both of those suggestions look awesome! I'm leaning towards Google Play Services but if it gives me too much of a headache I'll check out Swarm. Thanks!

Upvote 0