Android Tutorial AMD Ryzen processor & Android emulator AVD

If you have modern processor from AMD (Ryzen) - x86-variants of AVD cannot work by default.
Android emulator now requires the processors with a virtualization only.

By default Intel processors are supported, but HAXM software for Intel is required also to be installed.

But Windows 10 (even Home version) now supports the virtualization feature: Windows hypervisor platform.
1) The virtualization feature must be enabled in BIOS (special boot via SETTINGS\UPDATE & SECURITY\RECOVERY\ADVANCED STARTUP\Reboot now...TROUBLESHOOT\ADVANCED OPTIONS\UEFI FIRMWARE SETTINGS\Restart).
2) Windows Hypervisor Platform should be enabled in the old Control Panel among "Windows features".
221123d1547652594t-hi-i-just-installed-windows-10-few-questions-image-001.png

The PC must be rebooted next.
After it the x86 emulator images work OK and as fast as on Intel with HAXM.

IMPORTANT UPDATE: Negative effect is found: 3rd party emulators (MEMU, BlueStacks, NOX...) cannot work as they also use virtualization feature directly. So Windows Hypervisor Platform must be disabled, if 3rd party emulator is required.

Last edited:

Shelby

Licensed User
Interestingly when I looked into my Windows Features with my 64bit Windows 10 machine, I found that those two features are turned off. I'm using the B4A 9.00 for my projects.

peacemaker

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Yes, it's off by default.

Shelby

Licensed User
OK I guess the above that you suggested doesn't apply to my machine. (Intel CPU) Perhaps you still think I should turn on the two feature settings.

peacemaker

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
IMPORTANT UPDATE: Negative effect is found after this: MEMU Android Emulator now shows the error "Your CPU virtualization is disabled. Enable VT will improove 10X perfomance." REPAIR NOW button is near. But Win10 in some seconds is thrown into BSOD with "SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION" reason!

And MEMU troubleshooting suggests ... to switch the Windows feature virtualization off... :(
So, not all emulators can be used at the same time.

Utility shows that some features are not active:
upload_2019-4-7_12-10-2.png

Last edited:

rworner

Licensed User
Longtime User
I followed the instructions and the setup went fine. The emulator starts, but I get a message stating:
"The ADB binary found at C:\Android\platform-tool\adb.exe is obsolete and has serious performance problems with the Android Emulator. Please update to a newer version to get significantly faster app/file transfer."

I installed the latest platform-tools package from "https://developer.android.com/studio/releases/platform-tools" but get the same error message. The emulator appears to be running, so is this message just a ghost since I am running hypervisor?

peacemaker

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
UPDATE:
This thread was written on Win10 v.1809 Home - Android emulator was working on AMD virtualization with WHPX of Win10.
And later it stopped working on Win10 release 1903 - latest months the Android emulator could not working, due to some internal Win10 errors.

And now i am installing KB4505903 update of Win10, where ...... badaaaam ! It should be fixed ! We'll see.

upd of UPDATE: yeeessss ! KB4505903 helped Android emulator to work again on AMD.
But at the same time (with the enabled WHPX) starting MEMU emulator - again makes BSOD, note.

Last edited: