An Android style menu class

I should say that starting on B4i after a couple of years learning B4A was not easy.
Even though Erel has done a great job smoothing out the differences, Android and iOS simply want to do things differently.
Not wanting to pass judgement on which is best, my goal was simply to reproduce a similar environment for me to be able to migrate apps from Android to iOS and to give them a similar feel.
A couple of features that I like to use in B4A and which are missing (or implemented too differently to my taste) are the menus and the Toast messages.
So I created a new class to emulate the Android menus.
I also found a ToastMessage class for B4i written by Pendrush (thanks a lot!), which I tweaked to make it really look more like the one on Android.
The project below shows the two classes in action.

Example:
1. Declare the class in Process_Globals:
B4X:
    Private Menu As clsMenu

2. Initialize the class and load the menu options in Application_Start:
B4X:
    Menu.Initialize( PageMain, 17 )
    Menu.AddMenuItem( "Sub1", "mnuSub1" )
    Menu.AddMenuItem( "Sub2", "mnuSub2" )
    Menu.AddMenuItem( "About", "mnuAbout" )

3. Open the menu by clicking on the Navigation bar element (set in the designer)
B4X:
Sub PageMain_BarButtonClick( Tag As String)
    If Tag = "Menu" Then
        If Menu.Visible = False Then
            Menu.Show
        Else
            Menu.hide
        End If
    End If
End Sub ' Page_BarButtonClick

Note: The Menu class is usable with very few modifications on Android. You may ask why. It turns out I have a couple of older Android devices intended for home automation (Wink Relay) running a crippled version of Android 4.4 which does not support the menus (they do not have the navigation bar either), so I imported the clsMenu class, replaced the TableView with a ListView and adapted the code to the few associated differences and voila. I will post the Android clsMenu class later if there is interest.

Attachments

• clsMenu.zip
    259.6 KB · Views: 447
Last edited:

Didier9

Licensed User
Longtime User
On Android, the ToastMessage are maybe 10dip on the bottom, but this ToastMessage are 60%y (felt), is this normal? (6S Plus)
I set it there because I tend to have other status info displayed at the bottom of the screen on my apps and I did not want to cover than.
This can easily be changed in the clsMenu module.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…