Android Question Android Emulator

Franz Peter

Were can I found and install an Android Emulator?
I have finished the example form the "B4X Getting started"-Document but I can not test it because I have no Emulator (also no Handy which I want to use for the first test).
Franz Peter

Peter Simpson

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Were can I found and install an Android Emulator?

As long as you've followed the download and installation guide correctly, you can create a new Android Virtual Device and use the emulator by clicking Tools > Run AVD Manager in you B4A IDE.

But saying that, I prefer to use B4A Bridge on a real Android device. Go to the Play Store on your Android phone/tablet device and search for 'B4A Bridge', install it and you can then test your code on actual real devices.

Upvote 0

Franz Peter

Thank you very much.
Now I get the following (see attachment).

Attachments

• AndroidSimulatorgehtnicht.gif
    AndroidSimulatorgehtnicht.gif
    171.9 KB · Views: 290
Upvote 0

Franz Peter

Ok, I found out I have to install HAXM. This comes with the next Error.
So it seems it makes no sense. I really need solutions not Try and Error for weeks.
Thanks a lot for everything.

Upvote 0

Shelby

Licensed User
Peter, thanks for the spider. Franz, please continue to follow-up on your experience with the emulator progress. Others here are hoping to get the emulator information you might encounter so we can also take advantage of using an emulator easy to awaken within the IDE.

Upvote 0

AnandGupta

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Franz,

Emulator are very slow in standard machine. They use lots of memory. Better to restart your computer and then start 'Tool > Run AVD' from B4A ide. I follow it to get one started up. Once ready you can leave it open, even if you close B4A ide.

But better to have a, even old, phone with usb connection. If you can afford wifi for both phone and computer then it will be better. They are very much faster comparatively.

Regards,

Anand

Upvote 0

aeric

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Sometimes, Virtualization is not enabled by default. You need to enable it in your BIOS or UEFI. Make sure your PC has at least dual core. It won't work for single core arm PC like netbook.

Upvote 0

aeric

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Are you having a Intel or AMD CPU?
Maybe you can check this thread:

Upvote 0

Shelby

Licensed User
Thanks Aeric, I got very excited changing my windows features to reflect the allowing of the Virtual Machine Platform and the Windows Hypervisor Platform. I was especially intrigued that you referred to the old post above from 14 months ago. Unfortunately, my B4A emulator still does not display all of my buttons and text properly. At least I can still rely on plugging my Samsung S9 into my PC- 64 bit Windows 10 OS machine. I was about to buy many cups of coffee for you; anyway, thanks.

Upvote 0

Shelby

Licensed User
Here is my B4A emulator image after malfunction months ago. This image was taken today.Emulator_6_28_20_shopped2.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sagenut

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
@Shelby did you already tried to delete and recreate the AVD?

Upvote 0

Shelby

Licensed User
Not sure; can't remember, I guess I'll try that.
Thanks
Can that all be done in the Ide? Maybe I have to go into my C:drive?

Upvote 0

Sagenut

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Delete it from the IDE/AVD Manager.
To be sure check that the relative folder in
yourandroidsdkfolder/B4Aemulator/youremulatorfolder
has been really deleted. If not delete it by yourself.
Check even that
C:/users/yourname/.android/avd/youremulator.ini
has been deleted as well.

Upvote 0

Sagenut

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Before deleting it completely try to delete just the
snapshots
folder contained in the emulator folder.
This should make it restart from zero.
Maybe some cached data got corrupted.

Upvote 0

Shelby

Licensed User
Thanks,
I'll perform those steps. I'll start by trying to find where an emulator folder is. Oh I found it easily on my c:drive but I'll try in the IDE first. No snapshots folder in the Cdrive folder. I'll crank up the IDE. Now I'm trying a different 6 in phone_platform_28....etc.
I got a crash report. I'll try a different phone the same way as before: delete and select new. I'll also exit and restart the IDE.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Shelby

Licensed User
As I'm going down the possible emulators, I notice that when I attempt to use an emulator version with a suffix..x86_64, I get an immediate: Version 28+requires x86_64 CPU. I have a cpu 64bit so I don't understand the Sdk Manager message.
Ah, I have Intel Core i5-2500CPU @ 3.3GHz. I guess that's a single core. Never mind!!

Upvote 0

Sagenut

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Your CPU looks to be a Quad Core.
Which Emulator Images do you use?
These are mine
images.png

Upvote 0