Android Tutorial Tips or Tricks for using Android Emulator

I want to share a few tricks when using the Android Virtual Device or Emulator.

1. Increase font and icon size
Go to Settings (gear icons) from drawer/desktop/slide down menu and choose Display.
Change the value from the Font size and Display size sliders.

2. Improve screen resolution
While you can change the font size on display settings, the pixels are still too small.
Add hw.lcd.density=640 to the C:\Users\USERNAME\.android\avd\EMULATOR_NAME.ini file.

3. Change wallpaper
The stock wallpaper is ugly.
Long click the Home screen until the menu pops up showing and choose "Wallpaper & style".
Choose a nice wallpaper to apply to Home screen.
You can also find this setting in Settings.

4. Add an analog clock widget
Add an animated analog clock widget on Home screen
Long click the Home screen until the menu pops up showing and choose "Widgets"
Scroll down and choose the Clock. Select the first clock widget.

5. Editing the skin
The dark oval shadow on Nexus 5 skin is big and ugly.
Edit the png file with image editor and save it.

6. Follow my timezone
The clock always follow GMT +0
If you change this in Settings->System->Date & time. When the emulator reboots, it will back to default.
If you are using bat file to start the emulator, you can specify the timezone parameter.
e.g.
cd /d C:\SDK\emulator
emulator -avd 6in_Phone_Platform_34_google_apis -timezone Asia/Kuala_Lumpur

7. Add a keyboard for another language
Invoke the Google keyboard. Click on the gear icon.
In Languages, you can add a new keyboard.
You can change the keyboard by clicking on the Globe key.

8. Taking screenshot that save inside emulator
Make sure you have some apps opened. Click the square button (vertical control on the right of emulator if it is in Portrait mode) to see the recent apps list.
The Screenshot function is at the bottom.

9. Setting location in Google map
Use the 3 dots button to go to the Location setting.
Search a location or click a point on the map to show a red pin.
Click SAVE POINT. Give a name and click OK.
Select a location from the Saved point list and click on button SET LOCATION at the bottom right corner.
Check on Google map app to see the location is changed.

1703145831287.png

Last edited:

AnandGupta

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Excellent!

I am having trouble in real device (Oh yeah) using bridge as it is Android version 10 and MIUI 12, here both GPlay and Miui insists on scanning the app each time it is installed by the ide, which takes lots of time when I am in the middle of debugging an issue. Sometimes the debugger closes in ide.

I am again trying to get the emulator up for debugging purpose at least.

aeric

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Excellent!

I am having trouble in real device (Oh yeah) using bridge as it is Android version 10 and MIUI 12, here both GPlay and Miui insists on scanning the app each time it is installed by the ide, which takes lots of time when I am in the middle of debugging an issue. Sometimes the debugger closes in ide.

I am again trying to get the emulator up for debugging purpose at least.
Emulator should not compare with real devices. It should be less stable and less functions.

AnandGupta

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Emulator should not compare with real devices. It should be less stable and less functions.
Agree, but I need something where I can test/debug my app faster.

In real device after these recent Android version upgrades, it is taking long time to just see my app on the device.
Earlier I had a Android 5 phone and I was happy to quickly text/debug my apps in usb mode. No questions asked.
Now it is like punishment to try load an app on a real device. Usb is out of question now as I need to make account in MI web etc.

Obviously I will check the final app on a real device. But for quick development I need a running Emulator.