Android Tutorial Android messages - Cool new feature for SMSing from everywhere

Hi everyone,

I do not know if this is a suitable tutorial for this forum but I just found out and I am absolutely thrilled with it. There is a way to send SMSs from your mobile phone even from WiFi only tablet. Follow the following steps:

* Download the app Android Messages by Google LLC in Play store in your mobile phone.
* Make it your default SMS app
* Open it
* When you are done setting it up and see your SMSs click the 3-dot popup menu in upper right corner.
* Select messages from the WEB
* Now navigate in your computer/tablet's default browser to https://messages.android.com/
* You will see a QR code
* Click on the switch "Remember this computer" exactly underneath the QRCode
* Scan the QRCode with the Android Messages app.
* You are done

Now each time you navigate from the browser that you activated it to https://messages.android.com/ you will see a list of your SMS threads and clicking on a thread you will see all the messages exchanged. You can send of course SMSs. The great thing is that you can activate it in more than one browsers in more than one computer/tablet. The only restriction is that it cannot be open in two browsers at the same time. Enjoy... !!!!

Cheers

Last edited:

hatzisn

Licensed User
Longtime User
No, it is only accessible by you (and google of course) since you have to authorize it from your phone as you have to scan the specific to the computer/browser QR code. Nowadays everything turns to cloud. Your google calendar is cloud. I believe that Google having billions of android users will not check your SMSs if you are not of a special interest to the company. It would take enormous computing power to scan for all those users the SMSs - don't you think so? On the other hand with the Google Natural Language API this could happen. I believe though that the Facebook app is more dangerous since you get a lot of friend suggestions that hijacks from your contacts.

Last edited:

hatzisn

Licensed User
Longtime User
I just found out one more thing. Right now I am trying to connect Fiddler to my phone and I have changed the proxy settings to Fiddler proxy in the WiFi of my phone. I navigated to the https://messages.android.com from the computer and I saw the threads in the left panel but when I clicked on a thread it wasn't able to retrieve the data of the SMSs and responded that it cannot connect to the phone. When I removed the proxy settings of my phone and set it to none, I was able to retrieve the messages from my phone. That leads me to suppose that it connects to the phone and retrieves the SMSs and it doesn't save them on-line but instead saves only the threads. It makes sense since it is far more data to save if it saved all the SMSs in every thread of every Android phone user.

Edit - In order to reproduce it you have to disable fiddler and do not change the proxy settings in the phone. You can also reproduce it without fiddler just by setting dummy proxy settings after you have connected it for the first time successfully in order for it to get the threads.

Last edited:

hatzisn

Licensed User
Longtime User
I would like to make an addition to my previous message. It seems that it does not save neither the threads but rather it gets them directly from your phone. You can check this easier than setting proxy options, just by setting airplane mode on in the telephone.