Android Question App publishing and private sign key

luke2012

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi all,
first of all I think that the topic of this post I think is also useful to other developers like me, who have to do with publishing on the app stores
34527048-31567207.jpeg
for third parties.

I developed an app on behalf of a client of mine and he is asking me to create and publish the app on his (owned by him, in his name) Play Store account.
Currently, to develop the app with B4A I have always used the "Private sign key" that I had created (years ago) by associating it with my name and with my password.

My question is: can I upload my client's apk to his play store account signed with my key or do I have to create a new key from scratch associated with my client's data?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Luca :)

moster67

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Don't know how it works these days but many years ago, my clients created their own developer accounts, added me as a developer. Then I could upload the app I developed for them so it was published in their name. I believe I used a separate sign key for each client.

Upvote 0

luke2012

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks to all for your suggestions :)
In order to create a new private sign key for my client I should use the B4A Tools / Private Sign Key / Create New Key (option). Correct ?

Attachments

• Schermata 2021-10-08 alle 08.46.20.png
    Schermata 2021-10-08 alle 08.46.20.png
    64.6 KB · Views: 292
Upvote 0

luke2012

Licensed User
Longtime User
yes, this will create a new keystore file which you will need to save away separately.

then use
#SignKeyFile:
#SignKeyPassword:

see https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/threads/how-to-sign-an-application-in-b4a.130252/#post-819830

So if I understand correctly there are 2 ways to set up a keystore (private sign key):

1) Programmatically via code using specific instructions: "SignKeyAlias =" ", SignKeyFile =" "and SignKeyPassword =" "

2) Or by setting the signature file through the B4A UI (Tools / Private Sign Key / Load extsting key).

If this is correct, then the easiest and fastest way is to use the appropriate B4A UI (option 2). Correct ?

Upvote 0

Andrew (Digitwell)

Licensed User
Longtime User
I think I may be misunderstanding you.

Each keystore file is created using the manual method, then you can use "save as" to save the file to a new location with a new name.

Then you reference each keystore different keystore file in the app using the lines above. If this is what you mean by 1 above, then yes I agree.

Upvote 0