ask a question that is about a different coding language but somehow related to b4x??

TILogistic

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello,

I think it's very related to B4X because 50% of any B4J web app is HTML, CSS3, Javascript and jQuery.

Even the main engine for B4J web app "b4j_ws.js" is in jQuery

If you would like, you can send us a private message and we will help you right away :)

Thank you,
Saif
You have many options to create the web application with the B4J.

Example frame.

Mashiane

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Fortunately it does. It comes bundled with the Skeleton library also. If you download the library it has code examples based on the abstract designer.

As an example, here I demonstrate hot code swapping. You access it when you debug and are able to drag and drop stuff on the abstract designer and see what you do live just like we do when developing with b4a etc.

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Fortunately it does. It comes bundled with the Skeleton library also. If you download the library it has code examples based on the abstract designer.

As an example, here I demonstrate hot code swapping. You access it when you debug and are able to drag and drop stuff on the abstract designer and see what you do live just like we do when developing with b4a etc.

1. Will it ultimately be a PWA? The video does not show in which folder all the necessary generated files end up.
  2. A lot of stuff to study (but also to study html5, css, js, php... it is certainly not a small thing).
  3. Is all that free? So I guess you're crazy, right? 😂

Mashiane

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Sorry will fix that link as soon as I get home,

The link has been fixed..

Mashiane

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Will it ultimately be a PWA? The video does not show in which folder all the necessary generated files end up.
To make your app PWA, apparently all you have to do is write this code in App_Start
B4X:
BANano.TranspilerOptions.UseServiceWorker =True

A lot of stuff to study (but also to study html5, css, js, php... it is certainly not a small thing).
You dont have to know any css, js and html as everything comes already done for you. Actually in all the WebApps I have showcased here, I did not write any CSS JS and HTML.
We have anyway succesfully ported our kitchen sink to BANanoServer now, https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/t...awesome-kitchen-sink-ui-phase.132141/#content

We are just working now towards the jRDC implementation so that we can do some back-end stuff.

Is all that free? So I guess you're crazy, right? 😂
Yep, its all free, just like BANano which is free.

The library BANAnoVuetifyAD3 is open source and available for free. This is sitting on Github for the world, https://github.com/Mashiane/BANanoVuetifyAD3

Mashiane

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Yes, I meant: many things to study (BANano and "its" other libraries) but, on the other hand, if you did everything by yourself, without using BANano, you would still have to study anyway many things (html5, css, js, ...)
Oh yes! off course. To be a web engineer, you do have to know css, js and html, no two way about it. The frameworks, whether tailwind, angular, react, bootstrap, vuetify etc), you got to know hey if that's what you will use, and they keep on evolving, very fast too.

if on the other hand you start from a pure clean slate, then such knowledge is a must so that you have the basics. I saw on YT one guy who was not using any framework creating the most beautiful stuff I've ever seen.

And then again, any HTML element is built on the same premise, 1. styles, 2. attributes, 3. events and 4 which tag is it. With BANAno that's .SetStyle, SetAttr and .On methods after you define your HTML element with <tag></tag>, which is what the frameworks will eventually do.

All the best hey!

TILogistic

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Yes, I meant: many things to study (BANano and "its" other libraries) but, on the other hand, if you did everything by yourself, without using BANano, you would still have to study anyway many things (html5, css, js, ...)
JQuery is a JavaScript library (JavaScript is a widely used programming language in web development). This open source library simplifies the task of programming in JavaScript and allows you to add interactivity to a website without having knowledge of the language.

Mashiane

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
JQuery is a JavaScript library (JavaScript is a widely used programming language in web development). This open source library simplifies the task of programming in JavaScript and allows you to add interactivity to a website without having knowledge of the language.
To add on what @oparra is saying, Sadly now there have been moves towards "not having JQuery". The latest Bootstrap version 5, has completely removed JQuery in favour of pure javascript. I guess it has also been about security issues etc. For example, this article, titled, "You might not need JQuery", details how to perform the basic tasks using javascript instead of JQuery, http://youmightnotneedjquery.com/

BANano for example uses Umbrella JS, a very thin version of JQuery like library to do what JQuery does. This is not to say that JQuery is not being used. Almost most legacy apps across the world are still using and will continue using JQuery.

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
To add on what @oparra is saying, Sadly now there have been moves towards "not having JQuery". The latest Bootstrap version 5, has completely removed JQuery in favour of pure javascript. I guess it has also been about security issues etc. For example, this article, titled, "You might not need JQuery", details how to perform the basic tasks using javascript instead of JQuery, http://youmightnotneedjquery.com/

BANano for example uses Umbrella JS, a very thin version of JQuery like library to do what JQuery does. This is not to say that JQuery is not being used. Almost most legacy apps across the world are still using and will continue using JQuery.

Too many libraries / frameworks in this world!
You get lost easily.
tailwind, angular, react, bootstrap, vuetify etc
JQuery, Umbrella JS, ...

Hundreds!

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
guess it has also been about security issues

how is jQuery less secure than using pure JS? jquery just simplifies the HTML DOM (Document Object Model) handling.

instead of manipulating HTML elements with long syntax jQuery makes it much shorter not more than that (as far as i know) so if jQuery is not secure then Javascript should be too.

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Too many libraries / frameworks in this world!

Javascript is the key for all those frameworks. a lot of frameworks are based on JS like Node.JS, react, jQuery and many many more so start with JS and everything else will start making sense. i can tell you that JS is very very powerful and simple.

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Javascript is the key for all those frameworks. a lot of frameworks are based on JS like Node.JS, react, jQuery and many many more so start with JS and everything else will start making sense. i can tell you that JS is very very powerful and simple.
I know it... A LITTLE; but for me it's like knowing Java and Android OS: with B4A I can create an app in 2 minutes, with java only... 2 months for the same app!

Mashiane

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
how is jQuery less secure than using pure JS? jquery just simplifies the HTML DOM (Document Object Model) handling.
instead of manipulating HTML elements with long syntax jQuery makes it much shorter not more than that (as far as i know) so if jQuery is not secure then Javascript should be too.
I think its because of cross site scripting or something, check this out anyway, https://snyk.io/blog/84-percent-of-all-websites-impacted-by-jquery-xss-vulnerabilities/.

True, I mean instead of writing document.getElementById, you just have $(#)?), cool right? The trend around though seems to be a movement away from the more simple JQuery approach, evident with Bootstrap5 and other frameworks. Meaning that most things that worked in BS4 are broken now and cannot be used with BS5.

I just read this article, https://javascript.plainenglish.io/jquery-will-die-soon-heres-why-976a6b8105e1 and whilst I tend to agree with what the chap is saying, perhaps due to my exposure to VueJS. I'ts engine is JavaScript, so there is nothing written in JQuery, even with the rest of the other frameworks like React, Ionic etc.

100% correct.

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I know it... A LITTLE; but for me it's like knowing Java and Android OS: with B4A I can create an app in 2 minutes, with java only... 2 months for the same app!

I use js more for backend solutions. there is no doubt that b4x is very powerful for front- and backend. But after learning js and node.js u will find so many libs for it using npm and it will make it very simple to use.

but again i think b4j covers both in a much simpler way but knowing js will give u a lot of freedom also in b4j envirement.

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I think its because of cross site scripting or something, check this out anyway, https://snyk.io/blog/84-percent-of-all-websites-impacted-by-jquery-xss-vulnerabilities/.

True, I mean instead of writing document.getElementById, you just have $(#)?), cool right? The trend around though seems to be a movement away from the more simple JQuery approach, evident with Bootstrap5 and other frameworks. Meaning that most things that worked in BS4 are broken now and cannot be used with BS5.

I just read this article, https://javascript.plainenglish.io/jquery-will-die-soon-heres-why-976a6b8105e1 and whilst I tend to agree with what the chap is saying, perhaps due to my exposure to VueJS. I'ts engine is JavaScript, so there is nothing written in JQuery, even with the rest of the other frameworks like React, Ionic etc.

100% correct.

lot of people use bs4 because of what u wrote but i use bs5 for new project and i have no issues until now. BS is more ment for design (css) then for actions so u still can write any js code and manipulate html elemnts even if u use bs5.

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I use js more for backend solutions. there is no doubt that b4x is very powerful for front- and backend. But after learning js and node.js u will find so many libs for it using npm and it will make it very simple to use.

but again i think b4j covers both in a much simpler way but knowing js will give u a lot of freedom also in b4j envirement.
I followed a tutorial. I have installed node.js - npm. Used Visual Studio Code and... these very few things didn't work .

If I try a second time... my last two neurons will expatriate! They will go to the Maldives forever (lucky them 😂 )