At last, maybe...

Peter Simpson

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
So after studying Klaus's xChart, Erels various examples and watching Star-Dust release example of what can be created using XUI, I decided to take a closer look at XUI.

I've started learning about XUI and its advantages, yes it looking really good and way better than I first thought it was. I'm thinking about creating for myself CustomView Class to use in both B4A and B4J. It will not be an easy task for me being my first, but next week I'll crack on and just get on with it.

Hopefully I'll beable to think of something good to create with XUI that is not already on this forum and not too difficult for my first attempt, I do have an idea, but then again maybe not.

BTW I bottled today's 41 mile bike ride on my local roads canals, I did 32 miles in total. I was just too hot to cycle at speed so I though I'll just slow down and try again next week instead. Cycling 41 miles is easy, but doing that distance at speed is a complete different proposition.

Last edited:

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
BTW I bottled today's 41 mile bike ride on my local roads canals, I did 32 miles in total.

A bit shorter but still a nice trip, Peter.

I did ~40km last Friday with the mountainbike mostly on normal concrete/asphalt (field) roads.
Temperature was good but too much wind.
And as this was my first time with that bicycle in months the biggest pain was not the legs or my behind but my hands.
I think my saddle is too high or my steer to low so I have too much pressure on my hands and that combined with these anti-slip ribbled grips it becomes painfull. And still hurting the day after too.

I usually do the trips with an old 80s bike with these 3 in-wheel gears where 1 is to small and 3 too heavy (only usable on a long downhill)
you may wonder why I don't pick the mtb or racebike... well then I cycle slower, sit more upright and having the drink bottle in the side bags keeps it cool.
On the other 2 when it's near 30C the drinks are warm after 10 minutes and then my stomach doesn't like it.
Also riding on 1 gear is good excercise since you need to pound it around in all circumstances (no wind, wind, uphill ...) where you would switch back gears to make it easier/morecomfort in other cases.

Star-Dust

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
So after studying Klaus's xChart, Erels various examples and watching Star-Dust release example of what can be created using XUI, I decided to take a closer look at XUI.
Now do not blame us :p

Peter Simpson

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Now do not blame us :p

We'll if I do well it's because of you guys, if I don't do well it's because of you guys, oops I mean it's because of me :(

No but seriously I can and do learn a lot from the aforementioned developers and many more, there are just too many to mention.

I've never really looked at XUI before, I've just used the excellent classes that are already on here. But when Erel says that you should try using it even if you are developing only on one single platform, then that means it CAN have advantages over the standard views etc.

I maybe asking some questions, but then again hopefully not as most of the basic and common issues have probably already been answered on the forum somewhere...

Peter Simpson

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hey @sorex cycling about 25 miles is no easy task if you do not do it on a relugar basis. I built my bike from scratch as I basically wanted everything bespoke to my specs, I started with a new Cube Limited Pro frame and just ordered everything I wanted as and when I decided they were perfect for me.

I do a lot of cycling at times, this summer I've not cycled as much as usual but it really was way too hot and when I cycle esoeciespe by myself I usually try to beat my own times for set routes, that was never going to happen at 30°C+ temperature.

I usually cycling with two friends whenever I can, we usually do canal runs which are usually about 25 miles, but if I just cycle with Eric we always cycle through Birmingham city centre, thus we always stop of for a pint lol :D #defeatingtheobject.

My rear end has gotten used to my seat, when my legs start to burn I just try to power through the pain, that usually works.

As you say pounding around on one gear is a great idea, you have no choice but to take the pain and get on with it or you will never make it home the same say.

As I'm in my 40's and drive a lot, I think that it's important for me to try to keep fit. I don't believe in going to gyms as they are just not my scene. My friend Ian once said that at the gym he can easily cycle 20 miles, I told him that those poxy bike emulators using Google maps with inclines are nothing like the real thing, he said they must be as the bike machines costs thousands of pound. So one weekend I lent him my spare bike and we went for a bike ride, I told him to lead so he did. After only about 8 miles Ian was almost dead and couldn't believe how difficult cycling actually was in reality.

Ian had not cycled on a real bike in years and getting used to all the gears was not easy for him, but still he couldn't believe how tiring it was.

Yes I really do enjoy my cycling.

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
not to mention that indoor cycling is boring as hell and most male probably do it from/on the last row to have a good view on the females ;)

even if they have computed ascending/uphill simulation it's still not the same thing as you don't need to push up the bike + your own (over)weight uphill.
no head/side winds or wobbly/pit roads that slow down speed.

out on the street you always have stuff to see even if it's just a house that was broken down to plant another appartment block.
each ride is different even when the actual trip is the same.

the only good thing about spinning is that you (appear to) sweat harder but that's because it doesn't vaporize due to airflow that you have when doing real cycling.
that usually breaks out when stopping for a road crossing or traffic light on a real bike.

I'm also 45 and need to drag a big sack of potatoes as overweight with me aswell (105kg) :)