Android Question B4A 10.70 Does not Compile

ColorMan

Licensed User
So I updated to the latest version of B4A this morning. And I cannot get B4A Example 4 the Guess My Number example to compile. When I load and run I get the following message

Signing package file (debug key). Error
Unsupported option: --v3-signing-enabled. See --help for supported options.

In the video tutorial the top line here reads: Signing package file (private key).
But there is no mention of setting keys for debug.

I am using the Bridge to a real device, Android Tablet. The Tablet is enabled for USB debugging. The last time I tried this program I was using Android 8 and now I am using a new device with Android 10. So I do not know if B4A 10.7 is the issue or if Android 10 is the issue.

ColorMan

Licensed User
I saw these instructions but I have already installed the very latest version of Android Studio just last week. So why would I not have the very latest version of the SDK?
I copied the information from the links given. As I did, I checked on names (for appended version info), dated and sizes. As I indicated, while Erel's video guide showed him creating new folders, I already had those folders and the subfolders and files were the same names, sizes and dates, with one exception - one file in the support tools from the B4X site had a new version number. Now I am able to compile B4A projects.

Upvote 0

ColorMan

Licensed User
So, does this mean that I must choose between using B4A and Android Studio? It is not possible to run both on the same computer? In following your instructions to avoid this compilation error - I observed that at least 95% of the files copies had the same name, the same data and the same file size. The folder names that you suggest were already on my computer - put there by the installer for Android Studio. If that 5% of unique files were all that is uncommon between the two platforms, why did you not give them unique names, like a B4A prefix?

Upvote 0

ColorMan

Licensed User
Where is the pointer set? I do not see instructions for changing the folder names in the install directions given by Erel.

Upvote 0

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I do not see instructions for changing the folder names in the install directions given by Erel.
It's there, you must have missed it.

Tools -> Configure Paths -> Set "android.jar" path to the android.jar file in the folder where you installed the B4A SDK.
For example I have the SDK in C:\Android and my path is C:\Android\platforms\android-30\android.jar

Upvote 0

ColorMan

Licensed User
OK - I see. I believe that the instructions were to set the folder to C:\Android for the SDK but that is the same name used by Android Studio - hence the problem with the two programs having different versions of the same SDK that are incompatible. So, if the installation is made into C:\Android.B4a instead of C:\Android then will the installer set the path in Tools to C:|Android.B4A\platroms\Android-30\android.jar or will I have enter the actual path manually after the installation?

Upvote 0

ColorMan

Licensed User
Thanks to everyone .... it is working now. I also think that Android Studio still works as well. The updates from B4A does not seem to impact the Studio the way that it did B4A

Upvote 0

ColorMan

Licensed User
But they are related if we follow your original instructions. The folder C:\Android is used by Android Studio. I had to manually copy all of the files that were suggested putting in there because as they were copied, I get, "File already exists do you want to replace?". I installed the latest version of Android studio the week before taking all of the defaults from the installer for the studio and the Android SDK. When I updated B4A, about 95% of the files being copied for the SDK were the same, identical dates and sizes. only a handful were unique. So my current installation of Android Studio and B4A appear to be co-mingled., at least in terms of the Android development tools.

Upvote 0

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
There are minor but important differences between the SDKs as used for Android Studio and B4A. Hence the need for each to be installed in its own folder. I think it is unfortunate that Erel chose C:\Android for his example - even though he qualified it with "such as".

Upvote 0

MikeSW17

Licensed User
I don't see Android Studio use C:\Android anywhere.

Android Studio default installation folder is C:\Program Files\Android\Android Studio.
Likewise, Android Studio's SDK is stored in C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Android\Sdk

Unless the defaults are changed, there (as far as I can see) is NO relationship, interference or shared folders between B4A and Android Studio.
You can install both without worry.

Upvote 0

Shelby

Licensed User
Colorman, As Mike says above, I too have the Android Studio in a different location just as he describes. The only similarity of the two folders is that they have the same name: "Android". I don't have any other information but I thought I'd verify Mike's description above.

Upvote 0