Android Question B4A AVD Manager error message

SeaBee

Licensed User
I want to run the emulator provided with B4A, but whether I start an existing one, or create and start a new one, the result is always the same - a large message box headed 'B4A Sdk Manager' with the single word 'Error:' in it. I used to able to run a year ago, with a warning message that the X86 image was out of date, but it still ran.

I updated HAXM from 7.2 to the current 7.61, but it made no difference. I also confirmed that emulation was enabled in the BIOS, and the Hyper-V was disabled in Windows Features. There should be no emulator performance problems, as the PC is a Core i7 at 3.8GHz with 16GB RAM and 500GB SSD - if I can only get it to run!

What else should I be looking at, please?

aeric

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I assume you have updated/installed all the Recommended items in B4A Sdk Manager.
What folder do you install your Android SDK?

I start my Emulator using CMD. You can try:

Bash:
cd /d C:\AndroidSDK\tools

emulator -avd 6in_Phone_Platform_28_default -skin 480x854

Upvote 0

SeaBee

Licensed User
Thanks for your reply.

Your tip concerning using the command prompt helped me track down the problem, since when I tried it, I got a 'Panic' message pointing towards an environment variable issue. Once I had set the B4A path to match ANDROID_SDK_ROOT all was well. The problem occurred when I removed MS VS.NET from the system as I hadn't used it for two years (a rule of mine!) and then moved all my Java/Android directories from the 2TB D:\ spinner to the 500GB C:\ SSD as I now had the space.

I have been prototyping an app using only B4J, so didn't notice before.

Upvote 0

Shelby

Licensed User
Aeric or any other helpful soul,
My Android SDK is in Windows(C)\Android\SDK. Where would I put my New Haxm 7.61? Is it a proper operation to simply put my Haxm into a folder? I can't seem to understand how to install it into the AVD manager or SDK manager with configure path, etc.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

aeric

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Aeric or any other helpful soul,
My Android SDK is in Windows(C)\Android\SDK. Where would I put my New Haxm 7.61? Is that a proper operation to simply put my Haxm into a folder? I can't seem to understand how to install it into the AVD manager or SDK manager with configure path, etc.
Just unzip the content into any folder and click on intelhaxm-android.exe

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Shelby

Licensed User
Thanks Aeric, I'll keep that in mind for the future (about exe files). I got an error message that my Hyper-V should be turned off. When I checked, it was already off in the windows features area. Well, I give up on the emulator. It still won't display correctly. Thanks for the attempt at clearing up this malfunction. I'll stick with my phone plugged into my pc via usb port.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Shelby

Licensed User
One last note or two: my java version is 8 as mentioned in my compile log. I suppose that version is o.k.? In addition, during the display of the AVD manager, when the emulator pops up this message is given: The ADB binary found at C:\Android\platfor-tools\adb.exe is obsolete and has seriousperformance problems with the Android Emulator. Please update to a newer version to get significantly faster app/file transfer. I can click on a box: never show this again., but I let it go as I thought Erel directed me to do a year or two ago.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

aeric

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
One last note: my java version is 8 as mentioned in my compile log. I suppose that version is o.k.?
There is no problem with Java 8. In fact I am using Java 8.
The ADB binary found at C:\Android\platfor-tools\adb.exe is obsolete and has seriousperformance problems with the Android Emulator. Please update to a newer version to get significantly faster app/file transfer.
You may ignore this warning too.

Last edited:
Upvote 0