Android Question B4A bridge issues

FFMan

Licensed User
Longtime User
I've loaded bridge V2.14 onto a tablet I previously loaded to.

I have 2 issues - the Bluetooth option is missing, just says wireless.

When I try and use the wireless I get 2 toast messages in quick succession.

error writing file
error saving APK
to my knowledge nothing has changed. If I look at the errors in the IDE debug window I see 'permission denied'

any help much appreciated.

lemonisdead

Licensed User
Longtime User
the Bluetooth option is missing, just says wireless.
The Bluetooth option was removed
If I look at the errors in the IDE debug window I see 'permission denied'
If I well understood @Erel changed the permissions process ("Uses runtime permissions" none are required is written on Google Play Store).

It is written too that you can find v2.13 from this forum (here probably : http://www.b4x.com/forum/basic4andr...ls/8153-b4a-bridge-source-code.html#post45854 ) :)

Upvote 0

FFMan

Licensed User
Longtime User
why was Bluetooth removed - this was useful when developing on the train in areas without wifi.

is there a work around other than sneakernet ?

LogCat connected to: B4A-Bridge: unknown PAD
--------- beginning of /dev/log/main
~i:** Activity (main) Resume **
~i:** Service (service1) Destroy **
~i:** Service (service1) Create **
~i:** Service (service1) Start **
Connected to B4A-Bridge (Wifi)
Installing file.
libcore.io.ErrnoException: open failed: EACCES (Permission denied)
(RuntimeException) java.lang.RuntimeException: Object should first be initialized (OutputStream).
(RuntimeException) java.lang.RuntimeException: Object should first be initialized (OutputStream).
Installing file.
Installing file.

Upvote 0

FFMan

Licensed User
Longtime User
interestingly if I use Gunthers Bridge Plus I get an error saying 'the package is corrupt' on the tablet.

However if I copy the APK manually, it works fine on the tablet.

Android 4.4.4

Upvote 0

akinnovation

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Erel,
also I have a the same trouble with B4A version 2.14.
I want to install my app on a tablet with android 4.4.4 and receive the same error (permission denied error)
The only tips is to use the 2.13 version or there is some workaround ?

Upvote 0

DaveW

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Erel,

FYI, I have just had the same problem, started getting "error writing file" and "error saving APK" when I tried to run a program. This happened on an old smartphone I had not used for a few months. Downgraded to Bridge 2.13 as recommended above and it works again. Same program worked fine on another smartphone with bridge 2.14.

Upvote 0

lymey

Licensed User
Longtime User
I've loaded bridge V2.14 onto a tablet I previously loaded to.

I have 2 issues - the Bluetooth option is missing, just says wireless.

When I try and use the wireless I get 2 toast messages in quick succession.

error writing file
error saving APK
to my knowledge nothing has changed. If I look at the errors in the IDE debug window I see 'permission denied'

any help much appreciated.
I have the same issue with Bridge 2.14. I am using B4A 5.5, a 10" Tablet with Android 5.1.
strangely it was working fine yesterday, and now all I get in the Logs screen of the IDE is:
LogCat connected to: B4A-Bridge: archos Alba 10"
No other log records at all.
I tried the older 2.13 apk from the forum (incidentally it says 2.12 when you install it), and that had the same result. No log entries.
I tried connecting to my Samsung phone (Android 4.4.4) with Bridge 2.14 - and the logging worked perfectly.

I tried USB debug, can't get that to work (yes I turned on the USB debugging on the Tablet).

So now I'm stuck.
Any thoughts on why Bridge stopped working?

Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
B4A-Bridge v2.14 uses Google recommended way to access the app's "safe" external folder. You can read about it in the runtime permissions tutorial.
It should work on all Android versions however it seems like some devices didn't implement it properly.

@lymey the issue you describe is different. You will need to switch to USB debug mode in order to see the logs. Try to change the USB connection mode to PTP or MTP. It can help.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

lymey

Licensed User
Longtime User
B4A-Bridge v2.14 uses Google recommended way to access the app's "safe" external folder. You can read about it in the runtime permissions tutorial.
It should work on all Android versions however it seems like some devices didn't implemented it properly.

@lymey the issue you describe is different. You will need to switch to USB debug mode in order to see the logs. Try to change the USB connection mode to PTP or MTP. It can help.

Ok, so I switched off everything last night, switched it on again, and now logging works with the bridge. So Im baffled, it has been working fine for weeks, yesterday logging stopped, this morning it is working again!

As far as USB debugging goes I have tried PTP and MTP with no sucess. Is there something that you have to change on the IDE, how does it know to connect via USB? If the bridge is stopped, I just get the usual 'no device found' message. Is there a tutorial on the forum somewhere, because all I can find is how to turn on USB debugging on an Android device not how to connect with the IDE.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Daniele Zanoni

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have the same problem with versione B4A-Bridge V2.14
> error writing file
> error saving APK
> "libcore.io.ErrnoException: open failed: EACCES (Permission denied)"

Uninstalling 2.14 and installing 2.13 (2.12 on form) ... CANNOT CONNECT DEVICE ... "Trying to Connect ..."
I'm working with a device without wifi/bt but on Ethernet Network.

How to solve ? Thanks.

Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
Uninstalling 2.14 and installing 2.13 (2.12 on form) ... CANNOT CONNECT DEVICE ... "Trying to Connect ..."
I'm working with a device without wifi/bt but on Ethernet Network.
This means that there is a network problem (assuming that you have clicked on the Listen to Wifi button).

Upvote 0

rtek1000

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello @Erel

If I try run in Debug mode (by wifi) I got this errors from LOG (using B4A-Bridge v2.14 from Google Play Store):

Connected to B4A-Bridge (Wifi)
Installing file.

Installed from https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=anywheresoftware.b4a.b4abridge

But using B4A-Bridge v2.12.6 (B4A-Bridge Plus - Version Gunther Gabriel) works fine.
Installed from https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=anywheresoftware.b4a.b4abridge_gg

I not like to use this B4A-Bridge Plus because has ads.

Thank you.

Upvote 0

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Upvote 0