Android Question b4a-bridge on a Chromebook

yo3ggx

Licensed User
Longtime User
I can use without any issue b4a-bridge to install apps from B4A IDE on my Chromebook if I enable Chromebook Developer Mode (not Android developer mode), but this means that I must "root" my Chromebook, which will disable a lot of security features.
On the other side, I can install apk files without activating Chromebook Developer Mode (only Android developer mode) following the procedure:
- from L:inux Terminal I send the commands:
B4X:
sudo apt-get install android-tools-adb -y
- activate Android Developer mode using usual procedure (navigate to the Google Play Store and navigate to Manage Android Preferences. Go to System then About Device. Click on “Build Number” at least eight times continuously to enable Developer Options.)
-send the command:
B4X:
adb connect 100.115.92.2:5555
- A prompt will ask you to Allow USB Debugging. Select Always Allow, then click OK.
- Download your APK file and save it to the Linux Files tab in My Files
Then I can install any apk using:
B4X:
adb install filename.apk
- You can now access your Android app on your app drawer

Unfortunately, with B4A-Bridge, as soon as started and connected to IDE, I'm continuously asked to activate Chromebook Developer Mode, which I don't want to do it.

Can be B4A-Bridge modified to work without activating Chromebook Developer Mode?

Thank you.

yo3ggx

Licensed User
Longtime User
Unfortunately USB debug does not work. Running 'adb devices' from the connected PS show nothing, even adb debug is enabled on the Chromebook. The only possibility found to install an apk is by running 'adb install myapp.apk' in the Chromebook terminal. It looks like the USB port on the Chromebook can work only as a host.

Upvote 0

yo3ggx

Licensed User
Longtime User
I was able to do the following:
- on the PC running B4A I send the command:
B4X:
adb connect 192.168.11.198
where 192.168.11.198 is the IP address of the Chromebook
then
B4X:
adb devices
shows the device (Chromebook)
now I can install the app remotely with
B4X:
adb install myapp.apk
Now I can use IDE to install on the Chromebook without B4a-Bridge and without an USB connection.
So it looks that for Chromebooks, you don't need B4A-Bridge to debug over the network.

Last edited:
Upvote 0