Android Question B4A Jackcess examples

bobmcp

Licensed User
I'm trying to write an Android app to access a remote (web online) Access '97 .mdb for read/display only. I have d/l the Jackcess library but cannot find any example code to point me in the right direction to get started. Is there any sample code snippets out there?

Bob

bobmcp

Licensed User
Sorry to be a pest. What I need to get going is some code examples on how to make the connection to the remote .mdb. I don't seem to be able to locate B4A samples on getting this thing going using Jackcess. I understand your point re SQL db, but all I need to do is display a limited bit of data from the remote .mdb which is maintained/administered by others.

Upvote 0

bobmcp

Licensed User
If I understand the process correctly, I would connect to my .mdb with jRDC2 & then use the Jackcess library to access records in the db. Is that correct? If so, my problem is how do I code the jRDC2 connect?

Upvote 0

OliverA

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
then use the Jackcess library to access records in the db
No. You would use pre-established SQL statements that would be executed by the jRDC2 server via a JDBC driver that uses Jackcess to access the underlying MS Access file. See @Erel's video on jRDC2 to see what it is about and how to use it. Video: https://www.b4x.com/etp.html?vimeography_gallery=1&vimeography_video=260642577. Free JDBC driver for MS Access: http://ucanaccess.sourceforge.net/site.html. Note: There are also paid versions of JDBC drivers availabe. Your search engine is your friend.
I'm trying to write an Android app to access a remote (web online) Access '97 .mdb for read/display only. I have d/l the Jackcess library but cannot find any example code to point me in the right direction to get started. Is there any sample code snippets out there
Jackcess is a low level library for accessing MS Access files directly. You could do a "drive mapping" to access the file remotely and then use Jackcess to read a MS Access file, but I don't know how stable that would be. Also, unless you find a wrap for the library, you either will have to create your own or use the library via JavaObject and/or Reflection.

Upvote 0