Other B4A v4.00 BETA has been released

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
SS-2014-12-04_11.24.26.png

B4A v4.00 BETA is now available for download. Users who are eligible for a free upgrade will receive an email with the download link.
Note that starting from this version Basic4android is named B4A :)

New features and improvements:
  • Rapid debugger memory handling was rewritten to provide better performance and to avoid memory leaks.
  • Three new View methods: SetLayoutAnimated, SetVisibleAnimated and SetColorAnimated. With these methods it is very simple to add nice animations effects to your app.
    See this thread for more information: Simple animations in B4A v4.00
  • Designer animations - Layouts added with the designer are (optionally) animated.
  • Support for constants: Dim Const x As Int = 2.
    Constant variables are assigned when declared. Their value cannot be later changed (enforced by the compiler).
  • Screen video capture - Requires Android 4.4+. Very useful for demonstrations.
  • Activity_ActionBarHomeClick event - Handles the action bar icon click event. This event replaces the event from StdActionBar library which doesn't work on Android 5 devices.
  • Better handling of the internal message queue on Android 5 devices.
  • Visual designer supports custom fonts.
  • Visual designer supports adding borders to views that use ColorDrawable. Borders can also be added with ColorDrawable.Initialize2.

upload_2014-12-4_11-56-16.png

• New Application object with the following properties:
    • LabelName
    • VersionName
    • VersionCode
    • PackageName
  • Activity.DisableAccessibility - Workaround for this Android bug: https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=55933
  • IsDevTool keyword - Useful when reusing code with B4J/B4i.
  • Designer - Select all files option.
  • Designer - Double click on view's name to add to the script.
  • Libraries list - Checked libraries are listed at the top of the list.
  • Duplicate line shortcut - Ctrl + D.
  • AutoComplete shortcut - Ctrl + \ (same as Ctrl + Space).
  • Hide other modules option when right clicking on the module header.
  • Clear logs when program starts option.
  • 3 new warnings related to the manifest editor:
    • No android:targetSdkVersion.
    • targetSdkVersion is lower than 20 and no theme is explicitly set.
    • AndroidManifest.xml is read only
  • New logo.
  • CurrentStatement and breakpoints colors are configurable in the xml file.
  • B4A-Bridge was updated with several fixes and the PHONE_READ_STATE permission was removed (it was used in the past to show the device id).
  • Bug fixes.
The minimum Android version is now version 2.0.

This is a beta version. You are advised to backup your projects before loading them in the new version.

Thank you for your help with the development of B4A and the other tools.
Please start new threads for issues related to the beta version.

tremara1

Licensed User
Longtime User
I thought that you suggested to implement the new View features based on NineOldAndroids open source project. Never mind...

The font files will be copied to the "files folder" when you add them from the designer.
If I copy a font from the Windows Font folder I can add it ok from any folder, it just does not see the fonts as files in the Windows Font folder.

Upvote 0

stevel05

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
It's probably a permission thing, I don't have permission to open the Font folder from within B4a, not a problem for me I keep my own fonts elsewhere. If you want to load them from there, you'll probably have to change the permissions on the folder. Or your access level for the user.

Upvote 0

eSolution

Licensed User
Longtime User
Do you see a file named youtubeandroidplayerapi.jar in the additional libraries folder?
I don't think that this issue is related to v4.
Hi Erel, I have found this file in the default Library folder (not in the additional libs folder) of B4A v 3.8 and it is not present in B4A v4 ...I'll copy it from v 3.8 to v 4 and I think that it will solve the problem. Thank you for the tip :D

Upvote 0

gkaizer

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Erel, I really hope to receive a download link as soon as the new stable version is released, as I did not receive anything for the new beta, still the same problem, for minor updates I got all email messages, as soon as a new version is released it stops to send me notifications.thanks

Upvote 0

LWGShane

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Erel, I really hope to receive a download link as soon as the new stable version is released, as I did not receive anything for the new beta, still the same problem, for minor updates I got all email messages, as soon as a new version is released it stops to send me notifications.thanks

Check with the email that you purchased the B4A license with. I got the email with the BETA.

Upvote 0

tremara1

Licensed User
Longtime User
It's probably a permission thing, I don't have permission to open the Font folder from within B4a, not a problem for me I keep my own fonts elsewhere. If you want to load them from there, you'll probably have to change the permissions on the folder. Or your access level for the user.
That would be right...I will probably leave it (for my own protection from myself) and just copy to another folder as required, I won't need it that often that it will be a pain.

Upvote 0

aidymp

Licensed User
Longtime User
I did not get any email?? I have my original 2 months (expired I believe now) and an Extra year as part of the voucher code scheme?

Upvote 0

corwin42

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I did not get any email?? I have my original 2 months (expired I believe now) and an Extra year as part of the voucher code scheme?

B4A 4.0 is a beta version. You have to ask Erel to be a beta tester to receive mails for beta versions.

Upvote 0

LWGShane

Licensed User
Longtime User
Upvote 0

Shadow&Max

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Erel...

V4-beta is great, but I have some minor issues already... (wish I didn't have to tell the graphics designer this ;)!)... I really don't like the new icon for B4A. On my machine, all it is is a boring, green or teal A, and it's very washed out. With 3.8 back, the icon was very discernible, and dark... this is way too light and sort of disappears into the background. Honestly, shouldn't there be a B and a 4 in there so it differentiates itself from other icons? Anyway, it has to be darker.

So many of the new features are wonderful...

Custom fonts - just great
Application Object - Great
Designer - Select all files option. - I'm sorry, but I just couldn't find this. I looked all over but nuttin!
New Borders - Wonderful
Designer animations - Layouts added with the designer are (optionally) animated. - Don't Understand This
Library List - Really Helpful
New Icon for windows - See above
Clear Logs - 2 Thumbs Up!
CurrentStatement and breakpoints colors are configurable in the xml file. - Very Slick

I'll have to test all, but everything working extremely well so far here.

One thing I'd REALLY appreciate while you're doing all of this stuff... Having the window size and position of the designer saved on close and restored on open. That would REALLY help. Not the Abstract window, but definitely the Designer.

Excellent Stuff Erel!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

figorra

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have this error with the example.....

SlideMenu Material...................................................

Parsing code. 0.00
Compiling code. 0.06
Compiling layouts code. 0.00
Generating R file. 0.27
Compiling generated Java code. 0.78
Convert byte code - optimized dex. Error
UNEXPECTED TOP-LEVEL EXCEPTION:
java.io.FileNotFoundException: c:\progra~1\anywhe~1\basic4~1\librar~1\androi~1.jar (El sistema no puede encontrar el archivo especificado)
at java.util.zip.ZipFile.open(Native Method)
at java.util.zip.ZipFile.<init>(ZipFile.java:127)
at java.util.zip.ZipFile.<init>(ZipFile.java:143)
at com.android.dx.cf.direct.ClassPathOpener.processArchive(ClassPathOpener.java:244)
at com.android.dx.cf.direct.ClassPathOpener.processOne(ClassPathOpener.java:166)
at com.android.dx.cf.direct.ClassPathOpener.process(ClassPathOpener.java:144)
at com.android.dx.command.dexer.Main.processOne(Main.java:596)
at com.android.dx.command.dexer.Main.processAllFiles(Main.java:498)
at com.android.dx.command.dexer.Main.runMonoDex(Main.java:264)
at com.android.dx.command.dexer.Main.run(Main.java:230)
at com.android.dx.command.dexer.Main.main(Main.java:199)
at com.android.dx.command.Main.main(Main.java:103)
1 error; aborting
Optimized dexer failed. Switching to Standard dexer.

Upvote 0

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Have you downloaded the lib referenced in the demo? Are there no red highlighted code lines in your sample?
The code error is telling you that it could not find a libs file. Remember both .jar AND .XML files must be copied to the libs folder

Upvote 0

Michaell

Licensed User
Longtime User
I think the B4A help is very good. I've been able to find what I need. A comprehensive help file tied into the IDE could be a "first choice" to go, like select and hit F1... That help file could contain examples, and links to the forums as well. :confused::cool::eek:

Upvote 0

LWGShane

Licensed User
Longtime User
Not a problem, I was just wondering if I was missing the update! I will sit here and wait for the final release! ;)

Thank you Erel & everyone in the community for making B4A Amazing!

I actually meant that I received a BETA email without asking. Sorry for the confusion, if any. ;)

Upvote 0

MarkSutton

Licensed User
Longtime User
SS-2014-12-04_11.24.26.png

B4A v4.00 BETA is now available for download. Users who are eligible for a free upgrade will receive an email with the download link.
Note that starting from this version Basic4android is named B4A :)

New features and improvements:
  • Rapid debugger memory handling was rewritten to provide better performance and to avoid memory leaks.
  • Three new View methods: SetLayoutAnimated, SetVisibleAnimated and SetColorAnimated. With these methods it is very simple to add nice animations effects to your app.
    See this thread for more information: Simple animations in B4A v4.00
  • Designer animations - Layouts added with the designer are (optionally) animated.
  • Support for constants: Dim Const x As Int = 2.
    Constant variables are assigned when declared. Their value cannot be later changed (enforced by the compiler).
  • Screen video capture - Requires Android 4.4+. Very useful for demonstrations.
  • Activity_ActionBarHomeClick event - Handles the action bar icon click event. This event replaces the event from StdActionBar library which doesn't work on Android 5 devices.
  • Better handling of the internal message queue on Android 5 devices.
  • Visual designer supports custom fonts.
  • Visual designer supports adding borders to views that use ColorDrawable. Borders can also be added with ColorDrawable.Initialize2.

View attachment 29855

• New Application object with the following properties:
    • LabelName
    • VersionName
    • VersionCode
    • PackageName
  • Activity.DisableAccessibility - Workaround for this Android bug: https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=55933
  • IsDevTool keyword - Useful when reusing code with B4J/B4i.
  • Designer - Select all files option.
  • Designer - Double click on view's name to add to the script.
  • Libraries list - Checked libraries are listed at the top of the list.
  • Duplicate line shortcut - Ctrl + D.
  • AutoComplete shortcut - Ctrl + \ (same as Ctrl + Space).
  • Hide other modules option when right clicking on the module header.
  • Clear logs when program starts option.
  • 3 new warnings related to the manifest editor:
    • No android:targetSdkVersion.
    • targetSdkVersion is lower than 20 and no theme is explicitly set.
    • AndroidManifest.xml is read only
  • New logo.
  • CurrentStatement and breakpoints colors are configurable in the xml file.
  • B4A-Bridge was updated with several fixes and the PHONE_READ_STATE permission was removed (it was used in the past to show the device id).
  • Bug fixes.
The minimum Android version is now version 2.0.

This is a beta version. You are advised to backup your projects before loading them in the new version.

Thank you for your help with the development of B4A and the other tools.
Please start new threads for issues related to the beta version.

Wow ...all that sounds gr8.....

I just purchased B4A Enterpise Edition v3.82....how do I get the latest BETA ?

Do I have to wait for an email link ?

I am very new to Basic 4 Android and looking forward to an enjoyable and productive time using it !

Mark

Upvote 0