B4i (iOS) - Updates thread

aaronk

Licensed User
Longtime User
Some things I like to see would be:

- Rotate screen and display a different layout
- Send a Push Notification from a PHP script and receive the notification on the iOS device
- Download a XML file from a website and phrase the file
- Able to have a screen in the settings app on the device and view and edit settings for the app, like below as an example:

settings.PNG

Also, when you run a iPhone app on a iPad you get that small screen with the x2 in the corner.
Just wondering if I was to use a iPad Mini for development can you run a iPhone version of the app on the iPad Mini and get that small view with the x2 in the corner or would I need to get a iPhone to be able to see what it's going to look like on a iPhone size screen ?
Here is a example on what I am saying:

iphone-on-ipad.png

These are just some of the things I like to see :)

inakigarm

Licensed User
Longtime User
Well, I'm beginning to design an android aplication (B4A) keeping in mind a future (expect near) IOS porting

I suppose there're more people in my situation and that's because I'll (we) thank a kind of best practices guide to program a app from scratch and saving time in a near port to IOS

- Conditional Compilation:
Identifying effectively what plaftform run the app and code (subs, functions,libraries, etc)
- Designing layout systems (android vs IOS)
- Core functions included
- Libraries:
More often, for best application results, we need to add a number of libraries on a project; as libraries will be no compatible between android and IOS, we must design keeping in mind this workaround (maybe without using as many libraries)
- SQL native support
- Advertising (adds) support (same advertising platform on both OS)
- More to come..

The issue is program the app for the two plattforms, and not begin to design only for android to do a major code port to IOS later

I know that maybe there's no avaliable information on what B4I will support, but any help would be appreciated

Thanks !!

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
s libraries will be no compatible between android and IOS, we must design keeping in mind this workaround (maybe without using as many libraries)

While the libraries binaries are completely different the libraries APIs will be similar (wherever it is possible). For example iStringUtils library methods are identical to B4A StringUtils library. So you can use the same code in both B4A and B4J.

Current libraries:

SS-2014-09-17_12.48.55.png

DateUtils, HttpUtils, DBUtils and RDC modules are also available.

Last edited:

imbault

Licensed User
Longtime User
While the libraries binaries are completely different the libraries APIs will be similar (wherever it is possible). For example iStringUtils library methods are identical to B4A StringUtils library. So you can use the same code in both B4A and B4J.

Current libraries:

SS-2014-09-17_12.48.55.png

DateUtils, HttpUtils, DBUtils and RDC modules are also available.
Impressive.

Just a question, no problem with the new IOS8 ? I mean concerning B4i

Last edited:

LWGShane

Licensed User
Longtime User
Impressive.

Just a question, no problem with the new IOS8 ?

Better yet: What about the new iPhone models? (The 6 and 6 Plus)

LWGShane

Licensed User
Longtime User
iOS 8 and the new phones are compatible with current applications. There shouldn't be any special issue.

Thanks for the answer! Future iPod Touch 6 + Zeusmos+ B4i = Awesomeness.

Last edited:

Douglas Farias

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
i need make good money to buy a ios & b4i *-*

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
Important update related to B4i requirements:
I wrote in the past that a Mac computer will not be required to develop with B4i. That statement is no longer correct.

Due to possible issues related to Apple terms we decided to remove this feature for now. We may provide a remote compilation service as a secondary solution in the future.

This means that for the first version you will need a Mac computer to use B4i. B4i will run on a Windows computer and the compilation (when required) will be done on a network connected Mac. A single Mac can be used for a single developer or for a group of developers. The app installation will be done over the air.

It will also be possible to run B4i on a virtual machine on a Mac.

While I did hope to allow compiling without a local Mac, there are advantages for such configuration. Especially with larger projects.

Last edited:

Douglas Farias

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
:( now its a problem *-* i go have money to buy a mac in 2-3 years *-*
the cheapest mac in Brazil is the mac mini = R $ 3,099.00
the notebooks is 5k+ 9k+ lol

MaFu

Licensed User
Longtime User
This means that for the first version you will need a Mac computer to use B4i. B4i will run on a Windows computer and the compilation (when required) will be done on a network connected Mac. A single Mac can be used for a single developer or for a group of developers. The app installation will be done over the air.
I'm relieved. Because our company sources partially not allowed leaving the local network i cannot use remote compiling.

It will also be possible to run B4i on a virtual machine on a Mac
The other way (Windows machine with B4i and MacOS in VM) should also work?

MaFu

Licensed User
Longtime User
The other way should also work, assuming that you can access the VM with an IP address.
I can remote debug programs in the VM with Delphi, so network connection works perfect.

Douglas Farias

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
erel now is the question
u know the Unity? for make games etc
on the unity u can compile games for ios android windowsphone etc
and i never see problems o_O

but dont askme how the unity compile to ios xD

JohnC

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
This means that for the first version you will need a Mac computer to use B4i.

I actually welcome this because I was a little concerned with the possibility of a project being held up if the cloud compiler ever went down.

CidTek

Licensed User
Longtime User
Oh no, now that I have to use my MacBook I'll end up doing all my work in the coffeeshops again - just too tempting not to :)

aaronk

Licensed User
Longtime User
Important update related to B4i requirements:
I wrote in the past that a Mac computer will not be required to develop with B4i. That statement is no longer correct.

It will also be possible to run B4i on a virtual machine on a Mac.

While I did hope to allow compiling without a local Mac, there are advantages for such configuration. Especially with larger projects.
Does this mean to even develop a iOS app in B4i you need a MAC, or just when you are ready to submit the app to the app store you need a MAC ?

The cheapest I could find is a Mac Mini, will this do the job (the one on the left I was thinking of) ?

mac mini.png

Last edited by a moderator: